"Slimline" Tanks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled across a red Schwinn Deluxe American of unknown vintage in the wilds of Indiana this past weekend, sans headlight, horn, and any racks, but with the original "Slimline" tank attached. Condition is maybe a 4/10 - not rideable, but not earthworm fodder, yet. What I'm interested in knowing is how long the "Slimline" tank was around; some folks say 1962 all the way to the 1970's, other, more-specific accounts say late '62 models (essentially, 1963's) through 1966. Is anyone aware of exactly how long these tanks were manufactured? As well, the rear hub features only one embossed band: a single-speed, I'm assuming, and not the cooler kickback 2-speed?

I've seen the conversations about what the originals are "worth", but until I talk to the owner, I won't know how much this one is worth. Hoping I get the chance to pick it up - you all will be the first to know.

Stumbled across a red Schwinn Deluxe American of unknown vintage in the wilds of Indiana this past weekend, sans headlight, horn, and any racks, but with the original "Slimline" tank attached. Condition is maybe a 4/10 - not rideable, but not earthworm fodder, yet. What I'm interested in knowing is how long the "Slimline" tank was around; some folks say 1962 all the way to the 1970's, other, more-specific accounts say late '62 models (essentially, 1963's) through 1966. Is anyone aware of exactly how long these tanks were manufactured? As well, the rear hub features only one embossed band: a single-speed, I'm assuming, and not the cooler kickback 2-speed?

I've seen the conversations about what the originals are "worth", but until I talk to the owner, I won't know how much this one is worth. Hoping I get the chance to pick it up - you all will be the first to know.
You are correct, single red band = RB or RB2, both single speed hubs.

You are correct, single red band = RB or RB2, both single speed hubs.

That's what I was thinking. Pretty straight-forward there. Wouldn't mind the single-speed, but I've always wanted to build a bike with one of those neat two-speeds.

I think the american's last year was '65, nice bike, throw a two speed hub in it and rock it.

I think the american's last year was '65, nice bike, throw a two speed hub in it and rock it.

If I pick it up, it may be sitting for a while - not a lot of extra time or $$ right now for another project right now. :confused: Been mentally picturing a full-sized muscle bike, with a banana seat, one of those bent springer forks, ape hangers, and a rear slick. Something with a lot of hot-rod rake and rust.

Last edited:
The tank is a white and chrome model, with just the right amount of pitting and rust. Hope to give the guy a call after work today. I'll let you know, though.

The man's asking $85. Not certain what to do. o_O Great start to a project, but a small start - lots I'd have to put into it to get it built right. Anyone pay around that for one of these before?

Offer him 60. Explain how much would work it needs

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You will rarely see the tank by itself go that cheap on ebay!

I'm jealous, you can't get anything around here like that for under $200, no matter what the condition is

tyler perk has the right idea. I'm thinking it's worth about $60 to me. May call back this week to offer around that much. Tank looks to be worth $40-60 in the condition it's in. Missing the horn, but otherwise intact.

if the tank was perfectly straight I could see $50 or so..rest of the bike looks in need of replace/rechrome

Latest posts

Back