Question about Bendix blue band hubs.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the parts diagrams from the trfindley webpage.
You could compare the yellow 2 speed auto to the blue overdrive, they look very similar. It shows a box in the diagram of parts not compatible with yellow band, but doesn't say if it will mount up in the same hubshell.
A 52 (or bigger) chain wheel might give the same effect as overdrive using a yellowband hub.
bendix_automatics.jpg

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

Yes, blue band guts in a yellow band hub shell will work. Won't work in a red band. Gary
Here are the parts diagrams from the trfindley webpage.
You could compare the yellow 2 speed auto to the blue overdrive, they look very similar. It shows a box in the diagram of parts not compatible with yellow band, but doesn't say if it will mount up in the same hubshell.
A 52 (or bigger) chain wheel might give the same effect as overdrive using a yellowband hub.
View attachment 19113

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html
Thanks for the info! Now to find the parts I'll need. Once I have some money to spare.

Well the hub is in the box of non-compatible parts. I got one of each, Im gonna try it, enough! lol

Please let us know how it turns out.
I tore down a blue and red band tonight, ill take apart a yellow tomorrow and take some pics of everything and see if I can get the blue guts in the yellow hub. Im not gonna lace it up to a wheel, but ill see if it functions in my hand like it should :D

YES! You can throw yellow band guts into a blue band hub! B607 was correct, the diagram is wrong. From top down with entrails out, Red hub, blue hub, yellow hub. 4th pic is of all the parts that will work in all 3, the last pic is of the yellow and blue parts that will interchange. Note that I forgot to put the indexing spring and ball bearings in the "works in all 3 hubs" pic......Sorry, I am burned out on pics and hubs...but thats the story....

DSCN0617.JPG
DSCN0618.JPG
DSCN0619.JPG
DSCN0621.JPG
DSCN0622.JPG

Last edited:
The chart that says they won't interchange says so for cosmetic reasons, not mechanical. They didn't want the blue and yellow shells to get mixed up, but the dimensions are the same. So now that you have a green band, (blue X yellow make green) tell us how it rides. Gary

The chart that says they won't interchange says so for cosmetic reasons, not mechanical. They didn't want the blue and yellow shells to get mixed up, but the dimensions are the same. So now that you have a green band, (blue X yellow make green) tell us how it rides. Gary
Hahhaaha, green band. I should of got some model paint. I put them back to their stock form before the bendix gods rained hellfire upon me.

I lost a couple blue band ones and the chart says they dont interchange with yellow? Sheldon says they are all 1/4, so any 1/4 ball bearings? Opinions?

Last edited:
Don't know these specifically, but having worked in manufacturing, I strongly suspect they're the same as there isn't a reason to use a different bearing as it incurs more expense and reduces line flexibility to do otherwise with no apparent value. The more parts that interchange, the better, and that's just assembly, never mind in-house manufacturing/outsourcing, stocking, potential quality problems due to mix up, etc. I often (and sadly) amuse myself by noticing parts interchangeability between a company's models as, to me, the higher the number, the more it indicates how smart the company is. It also leaves more room to be able to charge less than competitors, make more profits, or spend the money in better places.

I have used yellow band guts inside a 28 hole Blueband hub to get the lower gearing on a 70's Stingray . The only difference in the hub is the color ,but the guts of a blue is overdrive and the yellow is under drive like the red band . The Red Band will NOT interchange with either one.

Latest posts

Back