Bike shop said they can't remove my rear sprocket...help!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spokes on my '54 Hawthorn were so rusted I had to cut them to remove the rim to refinish it. I got the rims done and brought them into my local shop to get re-laced and they called me tonight saying they couldn't find a way to remove my rear sprocket to lace up the wheels. I'm stuck, any ideas?
7b32d117fdae89774f81d2ca8794dbd1.jpg
de498681fe2e04ce38e497548c618910.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's held in place by a threaded ring, but the easiest way is to remove the bearing "cone" from the drive side, and unscrew the driver from the clutch, releasing the hub inards. Don't bother taking apart the brake anchor side. Lace it up, then reassemble with some fresh grease on the bearings so it can be trued. here's a diagram and explanation to help. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-departure-model-d-rebuild.30484/

Lace it up, then reassemble with some fresh grease on the bearings so it can be trued. here's a diagram and explanation to help. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-departure-model-d-rebuild.30484/

The problem is I can't lace it up until I get that ring off - with that rear sprocket on there you can't thread a spoke into the hub. Ideas at getting the sprocket off?

Monark - yes, please that would be awesome if you could scan and send to me. Thank you so much! [email protected]

I got it, thank you guys so much!! Now for that bike shop, I'm going to find someone else to lace up the wheels...any professional bike shop that couldn't figure this out and wasn't willing to help me figure it out doesn't deserve my business!

Here is a picture of "Betty Lou" so far:
ec6d3d5756550ef0085c5c6e9aca7eab.jpg

Ever tried this?
I have done it a few times. However, it does get old turning the cog to a new hole, fighting dangling spokes. I'm used to it now. Usually I rebuild my hubs and then set 'em aside waiting for something to put it on it on.

The slot is for replacing spokes, but personally, for a complete relace I would still recommend gutting the hub. What ever works for you is always the best way.
:forum:

The slot is for replacing spokes, but personally, for a complete relace I would still recommend gutting the hub. What ever works for you is always the best way.
:forum:

+1.

It's also much nicer working without the added weight and awkwardness of internal hub guts... ;-)

So sad when these shops can't turn wrenches and remove a couple nuts... New Departure Model D, possibly the easiest hub to service out there and my personal favorite. As stated earlier, take it apart yourself. It's not hard and you'll be happy to know afterward how it works. Will make you appriciate it more after its back together.

Latest posts

Back