Springer forks opinions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Cuda fork is a stronger forged/brazed crown and has nylon bushed joints with stainless cap screws. That Monark II isn't bushed, and only got made because their first go-around had shoddy welds on their double plate crown that snapped. I'd take the Cuda any day of the week.
Ya know, I think some bronze bushings in the cuda is the way I'll go if it don't look stupid on the frame. I concur with you, however the Monark 2 is bushed with brass bushings? Stupid choice of material or they meant bronze or maybe they don't know the difference ?! Either way. Im convinced the Cuda is a better fork.

Mostly looks, this will never go off road and likely not even off a curb. I don't want junk though. The one you linked is a HD model of the earlier failure prone model (no?) with "more welds, heavier springs, no bushings" If a weld is done properly its stronger than what it attaches too, and with all that movement, some type of bushing (bronze?) seems logical for longevity and heavier springs...stiffer ride... Out of the four mentioned I would place that last in the looks department and logical advertisement. I have a hard time when companies start saying "were the best, strongest, no other compares" and bashes others designs......You know they are full of it right from the get go. I like that its included here and may well be the best fork ever made, I dunno or I wouldn't be asking! hahaha. I do like the fact we have covered many opinions and about every fork available in a days time though. Anybody else with this question should be well pleased with the completeness of this :D

Shame on me! This one is in the RRB store and uses bearings, no bushings! Looks to kill too! :D
http://ratrodbikes.storenvy.com/col...cts/8082819-linkage-triple-tree-springer-fork

On a side note, the Monarch claims a weight of 5 pounds, where as the Cuda claims 7. Interesting.

Last edited:
@CrazyDave,
You might want to reach out to Smoopy, he jus put one of the chrome 'Cuda' (Monark-type) springers on his MBBO entry.
He could provide a 'real' evaluation of that fork.

Good looking bike so far, build on brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciating all the responses...great stuff!

Reached out to Smoopy, man i love his work....

That thread "all you need to know" is great for anyone looking at Felt or a sunlite fork, perhaps truly all you need to know about that style! Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
Here Dave, I hope these help.
dbdf81d9bb44bb9684919821e32a2347.jpg

e221ef207d8a2502d37f23faf612a42e.jpg

The fork in these pics is vintage and the fork tube just sticks above the head tube of the frame, so whatever fork you go with make sure the fork tube is long enough.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Thanks Falstaff! I think it looks great! Very good of you to take the time to take those pics.....exactly what i was hopin for, perhaps bettter! :D

Smoopy, thanks much for commenting and posting those drool worthy creations of yours! I'll be ordering up a black one for sure!

Got in my Cuda, Monarch style fork today from Smoopy's (great deal and advice, thanks man) and I am very pleased! Chrome and finish is very good, fork operates smoothly.......gotta ways to go till I ride it, but first impressions are very favorable. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Well I got a NOS bendix hub for the fork and went to mock it up...I have about 3/8" gap between the fork and the end of the hub on each side. I m thinking I will just use some spacers. Thoughts, opinions?
DSCN0645.JPG

Spacers should do the trick. You don't want to squeeze the forks in to far. I had a similar issue with SkiTrap, spacers fixed it up just fine.

So Dave, I'm going to order up a double springer fork this week for a Dyno Roadster. Was the origin of your fork the cuda from bicycle designer or did Smoopy get you a better one. Should I just call Smoopy? Your thoughts since?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Dave, I'm going to order up a double springer fork this week for a Dyno Roadster. Was the origin of your fork the cuda from bicycle designer or did Smoopy get you a better one. Should I just call Smoopy? Your thoughts since?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Personally, I'd call Smoopy.
The fork he sells is top quality.

I looked at em all and thought the one was the nicest, Smoopy actually had experience with them all and agreed....I got it from him and would recommend anyone doing the same looking for this type of fork. I will say the little bushings that hold the springs centered like to bounce around, I have my springs really cranked down, but I do ride it and dont think nuthin of going off curbs or whatever...Still better than its competition I think

Latest posts

Back