Racycle Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the Kelly-type bars, put my new cream tires on, and took her out for a test ride. She's a beauty. I did have some grinding noise, that turned out to be the skip tooth chain. It seems that it has been stretched over the years, as the chain didn't quite line up with the chainring teeth. Held it up to another chain that I've got, and it was much longer. So, I swapped out the chain, and now it's pretty smooth.

I'm calling her done, for now. As I mentioned, as (or if) I get more original parts over the years, I'll swap it out, but for now, she looks great.

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

And I even put the bars up, and rode it like that for a while, just to prove that they really are adjustable. :)

IMG_1003.jpg

sensor said:
looks great :mrgreen:
are you going to re-temper the wrenches?(assuming you havent already)

That might be one possible solution. I'm also thinking of making another set with larger wrenches, so that they're more flush with the stem, and they'll be stronger, tempered or not.

They're not bad now, though, unless I really put my weight on them.

deven_science said:
sensor said:
looks great :mrgreen:
are you going to re-temper the wrenches?(assuming you havent already)

That might be one possible solution. I'm also thinking of making another set with larger wrenches, so that they're more flush with the stem, and they'll be stronger, tempered or not.

They're not bad now, though, unless I really put my weight on them.
good to know but i figured since you already have a torch and probably have some access to oil it wouldnt be hard to do :wink:
either way...love it :mrgreen:

Happened to stumble back over this thread, and notice that it needed updating. I've added an era appropriate 1920s Persons saddle, which I got from a member here on RRB. Looks much better than the Brooks that was on there, I think.
IMG_3578_zpsrfyqnnhv.jpg

Nice build! love these bikes , and you did very well with the homemade stem! one thing i noticed tho is the seat post , originally it is bent forward not back for a more racy look , but i guess if you just cruise on it its up to your confort :113:

Hi Folks

This is my first posting to the forum, But found the topic after becoming fascinated with the kelly handlebars. Realising I would either have to spend a fortune I didn't own or make a set to own them. I turned to the internet for inspiration & eventually dug up deven science's solution with the use of spanners.

My Bars are currently away for chroming but this is my story so far with them......

I used a drop bar stem & sawed the ring of the front & filed it square for the spanners, then drilled & tapped the end for a bolt.
I used 20mm spanners for the fittings, sawing just the ring off the end, so I have 2 nice sharp ended 20mm open ended spanners if anyone want them! lol
here's my parts prior to welding them....
20160116_144733.jpg

I've a grind wheel at work so it was backwards & forwards from home to work, welding & grinding till it all looked nice
20160117_134823.jpg

These are them "mocked" up prior to chrome, the washer at the front is brass & has a protective black cover over it. I have since engraved this with "Bikespeeds custom bars" I have a little shop & took on bike repairs last year, calling it "bikespeeds" I'm putting these on a bike I use round town, which is quite distinctive as I run an 80 tooth front ring so its a sort of rolling advert.
20160117_152737.jpg

Anyway once they are finished & on the bike I'll post up a picture, but thanks to those on this topic for the inspiration.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Folks

This is my first posting to the forum, But found the topic after becoming fascinated with the kelly handlebars. Realising I would either have to spend a fortune I didn't own or make a set to own them. I turned to the internet for inspiration & eventually dug up deven science's solution with the use of spanners.

My Bars are currently away for chroming but this is my story so far with them......

I used a drop bar stem & sawed the ring of the front & filed it square for the spanners, then drilled & tapped the end for a bolt.
I used 20mm spanners for the fittings, sawing just the ring off the end, so I have 2 nice sharp ended 20mm open ended spanners if anyone want them! lol
here's my parts prior to welding them....
View attachment 17029
I've a grind wheel at work so it was backwards & forwards from home to work, welding & grinding till it all looked nice
View attachment 17030
These are them "mocked" up prior to chrome, the washer at the front is brass & has a protective black cover over it. I have since engraved this with "Bikespeeds custom bars" I have a little shop & took on bike repairs last year, calling it "bikespeeds" I'm putting these on a bike I use round town, which is quite distinctive as I run an 80 tooth front ring so its a sort of rolling advert.
View attachment 17031
Anyway once they are finished & on the bike I'll post up a picture, but thanks to those on this topic for the inspiration.

Lee

Very nicely done, Lee! Those look great.

I always feel any customising is a risky business, some things fail, some things work, some are improvements, some are compromises to achieve a result. But ultimately if you want something different you've got to take those risks, they are what makes it exciting to do.
Wow. you said a mouthful there, bikespeeds! Profound!

I've missed this thread up until today.

I've wondered about making Kelly bars in the past, but never thought much about how to go about it. This is a wonderful solution by @deven_science and @bikespeeds really did a nice job expanding on the idea! :41:

I believe there may just well be a set in my future now! :cool2: Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back