Coaster Brake Tendency Poll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which foot do you brake with using coaster brakes?

• Total voters

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've noticed that I almost always use my right foot when braking with a coaster brake.

Which foot do you typically use?

19503948bhedi_sm.jpg

More right than left, but I use both. Probably something like 60/40, but it's not something I track. FWIW, I'm right-handed with two left feet (unless the right song is playing).

I'm probably a 70/30 right/left combination, depends on if I am turning a certain way when braking, I like my foot back on the inside of a turn. Straight line is almost always right foot brake, I seem to have more modulation with the right... Probably stems from driving.

Luke.

Nearly exclusively right...I would have to concentrate really hard to use my left. Also, when riding a motorcycle, I corner better/faster in right hand corners...and also driving, I corner better/faster in right handers.

I guess that is why I don't drive in NASCAR :grin:,
Jason

Right, especially when I lock it up to fishtail. I don't ever remember fishtailing the other way.

Right foot for braking (Right handed). More important, especially starting of on hills or in traffic is positioning the pedals so I can start out with my Right foot. Sometimes takes a little fudging around with a coaster tho. :grin:

Actually, that is probably why I brake with my Right foot, so i can rotate the crank while stopped and be ready to start out with my Right foot!

I'm probably more around 50/50, but as others have said it depends on circumstance.
If I need to brake in a turn I use my outside foot, for a power slide I use my right. Other than that I brake with whatever foot is in that position.

Always with the right. And I pretty much always slid a bike sideways to the left (kicking the rear out to the right side) back when I used to do such things.

Sitting in my living room pretending to pedal, it's hard for my brain to tell. I think I use left more. I'm left handed/footed, so maybe it's about the dominant foot?

I concur with your hypothesis on it being based upon the dominant side; i.e. left/right ‘Gray Matter’ dominance.

This is a funny question, only because I noticed the other day on a ride that I only use my left foot to break. I tried my right foot and it felt weird. I'm right handed but left footed. Actually, I write right handed, I swing a bat and gulf club right handed but I play hockey left handed. I can't kick a ball right footed to save my life but watch out for my left footed round house, it'll knock you flat.

This thread made me remember riding the Mongoose I still have today down the halls of my high school in 1982, doing tail kick-outs into the lockers as I went. I brake right and slide right, but I can't seem to recall favoring one side or the other for that.
I could go out to the garage and get on the very same bike and try it but I don't seem to be 17 anymore.
Rats.

Latest posts

Back