2015 GT Palomar (Steel Frame)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up off the bay for super duper cheap, bike is mint new and arrived in a factory sealed GT box that had never been open. I really love the old steel frame bikes, I have a garage full of chromoly one's so the appeal was instant when I saw this. Probably the last chance you will have on a steel frame bike from a decent brand, (Even though it's now made by Pacific bikes, the GT and Cannondale brand is listed as it's premium line of bikes ) I've always loved the triple triangle design on GT's, I have two others as well. Even though it is hi-ten steel it is made very well, toptube where it joins with the head tube has a nice thick gusset welded in place and also on the under side of the down tube is a nice thick one. From what I have seen there are three sizes and two colors for this model, small, med, large, black and white are the color options. I bought the large which measures an 18" frame, center to center. All and all with both the derailleurs perfectly dialed in, its a really great riding bike. Components are sub par but work well, it is easily up gradeable if you want to do some moderate trail riding. I have an upgraded Shimano crankset with replaceable chainrings on order for it, took the garbage stamp metal ones off last night and measured the spindle and tried that same exact crankset I already have for another build and its a perfect fit, they are Acera FC-M361, exact same fit as the stock ones, chain alignment is exact and front derailleur won't even need to be readjusted. I also ordered up a new 90mm 31.8 stem and ProTaper 31.8 fat bar. I'm going to be upgrading the wheelset soon as well. All in all a very cool bike, welds are smooth and clean, decals are perfectly placed and a nice GT factory seat. I put a new set of Redline lo pro pedals on it upon arrival and I have a nice set of CST Cheyenne tires coming as well.

Last edited:
Here is something you may find interesting as hi-ten steel has never gotten much credit, there were many bmx and mountain bike frames dating from the 70's 80's and 90's that were made from it by big name bike companies,...For an equal dimension structure, between steel, titanium and aluminum, the steel one will be the stiffest (nearly 3 times as stiff as the aluminum one) It will also be the heaviest and be the strongest. The reason for bike frames shifting from being made from steel to being made from aluminum or carbon fiber was never about stiffness, it was about weight savings and how to put in minimal material yielding consistent results. This is why a LOT of dirt jump bikes are still made from steel, because strength and stiffness are the overwhelming concerns and weight savings is not. Chromoly frames are strong but often they are butted on the connecting ends and thinned down in the center of the tubing area to reduce weight, also reducing overall strength. I am a weekend warrior and don't care one bit about weight savings, I see it as a muscle builder riding a heavy bike and have always welcomed a physical challenge. That said, don't sneer away from a hi-ten steel frame made by a decent company, the rear drops on this frame measure 5mm in thickness. This bike will be hitting the trails as I have already upgraded the crankset, wheelset, tires, stem, bars and have a nice Omega RST suspension fork with lock out on the way. I will also be updating to a better component group here soon, should be the most capable Palomar model GT to ever exist haa haa!!:21:

Update on the GT Palo-BEAST for the un-impressed masses, got the Omega RST fork in with lockout, super nice fork, cut it to fit this morning and also added a 2.4 Caballero tire on the front and a 2.25 Caballero tire on the rear. Bike rides awesome and is very fun to ride, the Answer Pro Taper 2" 31.8 fat riser bars make for a nice upright riding position. I cut the fork to accommodate a low 10mm spacer because I just don't like the look of a long spaced out fork tube, just looks better. Just off the scales bike weigh's in at a staggering 35.8 pounds! I like my bikes like I like my women, HEAVY!! Haa Haa, just kiddin, my wife is a total gym rat and is to skinny IMO. Anyway, if the cheap Shimano derailleurs didn't shift so darn good I would change them out but they have been staying perfectly dialed in so shifters and derailleurs have been put off for now. Here is the most current pics of it with new crankset, wheels, tires, bars, forks, brakelevers and a few other bits. Oh yea, forgot to mention I put a NOS set of Shimano XT skewers on it,...:rofl:

Last edited:
That's impressively heavy! I recently got a postal scale and was amazed that my chromoly "tank" is just under 32 lbs. (with 12V battery packs and all). I think I need to start working out again.

upload_2016-2-21_19-26-51.png

Wow, you would think your bike would be heavier, I weighed it on a digital bathroom scale. Well, if its off and the bike doesn't weigh that much, the wife will be ecstatic, she was just saying today that she had put on around 7 or 8 pounds :21: Sweet bike by the way,...

I have always asked women who bring up their scale weight when it was last calibrated. Of course they never are, so I tell them the scale could just as well be measuring their weight on Jupiter. I don't know if it's ever been convincing, but I think I usually get points for trying (if only they knew how many of my lame jokes were recycled!).

Thanks. I re-weighed it a couple of times as I couldn't believe it was that light, either. I figure there's got to be at least 5 lbs. in accessories alone.

But, I do agree that lightweight is overrated for regular riding—once rolling, as long as the gearing is right, the difference is pretty unimportant.

The GT frame design is pretty cool.

Like your bike and the mods.
Recently picked up a pair of steel Huffy mountain bikes in good shape. First I scored a 1988 Mojave Gulch men's frame bike for $5 (I was told it was for parts only, but even the tires still held air and after a few adjustments and some oil it was good to go).
side view.JPG

After a few short winter rides, I realized I really liked the feel of the bike so when I found a like new 1991 Thunder Ridge women's frame bike at St Vinnies for $20 I grabbed it for the wife.
side view.jpg

Doing some online research for the bikes led me to this site:
http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1010319-confessions-huffy-enthusiast.html

Good reading for anyone who likes these steel bikes. :)

Right on, I just sold a mens Huffy this past Saturday night similar to yours, was a real nice bike. I also have a few others like that I stripped down and made single speed cruisers out of, work great for that with the horizontal drops and American bottom bracket.

Latest posts

Back