Pedal Lock

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just browsing through the latest edition of Kustomized Bicycle Magazine and came across Pedal Lock. What a great idea and can eliminate the need for carrying around a bulky lock and risk of scratching whilst riding around. It isn't in production yet but is on the kickstarter website and hopefully this idea gets off the ground.

Ultimately locks only keep honest people out!!

If you havent seen the magazine you can find it by clicking here

I like the retractable aspect, buuuuut the pedal area is an awfully harsh environment for a lock (or any precision gadget) to live in. Why not produce a retractable cable lock with seat tube mount that's long enough to loop through the frame, rear wheel, SADDLE, and be out of harms' way?

Sorry to knock it, but this just seems like trouble.

There's been a lot of bashing of this product in the community, thin wire, etc., but as you said, it will keep the honest men honest. I pre-ordered a set for my wife's bike. When we go on group rides, no one locks up their bikes, but my wife wants to. I figure this will make her feel like it's locked well enough for those situations.

It's a cool concept, but I wonder how well the mechanicals will fair over time. I imagine dirt and water would jam things up.
Also the styling of the pedal won't be everyone's cup of tea, would look ok on a simple cruiser, but I don't see it on something like mofaux or Pedro or pretty much any other build I've seen on here.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing the product, but I'm not. I like the idea of it, just not the look.

I don't see it on something like mofaux or Pedro or pretty much any other build I've seen on here.
So that is a no for Pedro?

23440937386_a88553ec15_z.jpg

Luke.

I like the retractable aspect, buuuuut the pedal area is an awfully harsh environment for a lock (or any precision gadget) to live in. Why not produce a retractable cable lock with seat tube mount that's long enough to loop through the frame, rear wheel, SADDLE, and be out of harms' way?

Sorry to knock it, but this just seems like trouble.
Here's one...

After seeing this, I discovered that several reputable lock companies (Abus in particular) produce a similar retractable product. It just doesn't mount to the bike the way I suggested.

Between the grit, and the wet, and the crap on the bottom of your shoe, I can't see this pedal thing surviving for very long. It would really suck if it failed while your bike was locked...far from home...in the middle of a rainstorm.

The promo video was shot near a beach. Add sand and see how long it works.

Some years ago I bought a few sets of pedals that have generators & led light built in. Cool idea but did not last very long. A few months and they quit working.

As to that saddle lock? It's much easier to change the seat post bolt to an recessed hex. A thief would need an allen wrench to steal the seat & post. I seen plenty of bikes on campus minus the seat & post. A proper bolt instead of the quick release would slow down the thieves who only carry vice grips. Or clean your frame out and install you seat post with jb weld instead of grease. So your saddle lock gets stolen because you were too lazy to lock your bke. How much vs a normal seat & post? And do you really want to have to adjust your seat every time you unlock your bike?

An unlocked bicycle is just so tempting to thieves. They just scream, steal me.

Rick

So are you pedaling around on two giant padlocks? I just like a simple cloth-covered cable lock. Mine is fairly classic looking in brown cloth and was on clearance for $2.96 at walmart. It seems tough and doesn't stand out too bad on a vintage cruiser

My regular lock is a length of regular chain with an old inner tube wrapped around it, with a lock. Most thieves aren't just carrying around bolt cutters. Still, I like this idea for when some light protection is needed.

As to that saddle lock? It's much easier to change the seat post bolt to an recessed hex. A thief would need an allen wrench to steal the seat & post. I seen plenty of bikes on campus minus the seat & post. A proper bolt instead of the quick release would slow down the thieves who only carry vice grips. Or clean your frame out and install you seat post with jb weld instead of grease.

Did you watch the video? The point of the Seatylock isn't to lock the seat -- the inventors have turned the saddle and saddle rails INTO a lock that can then be used to lock the bicycle itself, hopefully to a fixed object like a bike rack or sign post.

How much vs a normal seat & post?

Of course it costs more than a "normal" seat and post, and probably more than a normal seat, post, and a quality lock -- BUT it offers the same sort of convenience as the pedal lock that started this thread. It's always with the bike, so you can't ride to the store and then discover that you left your lock at home. (It's also probably not as secure as some higher end locks, but again, it's about the convenience in lower-crime neighborhoods.)

And do you really want to have to adjust your seat every time you unlock your bike?

The nice thing about that design is that you don't have to adjust the seat each time you use it, since the seatpost itself doesn't move when the seat is removed. It also means that the seatpost itself can be secured with a normal bolt, preventing theft of the post.

What's to stop the pedal lock from being removed with a wrench, thereby unlocking the bike ?

If the cable comes out of the pedal, goes through the bike frame and/or wheels and/or around a fixed object, then locks to the pedal again, how is that any different than a normal lock?

Normal locks don't bolt to the bike's cranks, but they still do a decent job of locking the bike.

Latest posts

Back