bike flip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had so much problems painting in my life and I have been doing bikes since I was 10 years old. I think it is because I am trying to use Krylon brand paint over Rustoleum. The gold is just pealing off. But I think the idea might be cool if I can get it to work.
badpaint_zps52ba2e55.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is some sort of oil in the Rustoleum that keeps other types of paint from sticking and prevents rust. I saw a dune buggy tube frame primed with rustoleum that had to have it all sanded off and reprimed to get the paint he bought to stick.

I am doing something that is unprecedented in my life. I am actually working on 2 bike projects at the same time. Will see how long that lasts.
But started putting Bike flip back together. Need a couple of nuts and bolts but I think everything is ready to go.
Here it is so far.

Question on tires.
I know there is a difference between tires marked in fractions and those marked in decimal points but was wondering if there can be a size difference even with the same markings? I had a pair of gum wall tires for this (26" X 1 3/8") that fit fine but did not like the look so a bought a pair of all black no name ,cheap, Chinese ones that I like the look of but they are very, very tight to get on. I already popped one tube getting them on. I have never run into this problem before.
Any thoughts on this?

g-ratter,
Really like your bike gonna try my own version of a truss bike someday.
May want to check the rim & tire size there are
590 mm / 26 x 1 3/8
also
597 mm and 559 mm sizes.
Maybe you are trying to fit a 590 mm tire on a 597 mm rim?

597 would be a Schwinn S-6 (usually marked clearly) or possibly pretty old English equipment, which would probably not be marked. Do the old gumwall tires have ISO numbers, or just the new ones?

Yes, thats what I was thinking, compare the tires - my old ones say S-6 or english rims on them.
here is 1 I found on EvilBAY,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ant...perite-cycle-rite-26-x-1-3-8-28-/301107148745
" Type: Clincher Tire Width: 1 3/8"
Brand:
Semperit
For Bike Type: Three or single speed, Cruiser, Road Bike - Touring, Tandem Bike Color:
Black
Features: Classic 3 spd. Country/Region of Manufacture: Austria
Wheel Size: 26 in. 597 bead seat EA1 S6 or S5 UPC:"

s-l400.jpg

Question on tires.
I know there is a difference between tires marked in fractions and those marked in decimal points but was wondering if there can be a size difference even with the same markings? I had a pair of gum wall tires for this (26" X 1 3/8") that fit fine but did not like the look so a bought a pair of all black no name ,cheap, Chinese ones that I like the look of but they are very, very tight to get on. I already popped one tube getting them on. I have never run into this problem before.
Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I had the same problem with the new skinnier tires. Never had that problem in the old days (60 through 2000) but this summer I popped two tubes trying to get a 1 3/8 on. I have probably put on over fifty 27 x 1 1/4 and 26 x 1 3/8 over the years. I finally just took it to the bike shop, and had them install a tube. I figured let them pop tubes until they get it on. I recently bought one of the new kevlar skinny tires and couldn't get that to go on without pinching a tube. I gave it to someone and they couldn't get it to work either. Junk. The new floppy, thin light weight mountain bike tires can be hard to mount. I kept having the bead open up on one. Bounce, bounce, bounce while adding air slowly, couldn't get it to stay on and the tube would pop out and blow. I took it to the bike shop and they had a special tool but they ended out using another tire of the same brand and style as the original they sold me would not stay seated on my alloy MB rim. I have switched to tubeless as these meatless MB tires are always going flat from pinching tubes on rocks. My classic 50s or 60s Goodyear tires on one of my klunkers never come off and never gets a pinch flat, they are heavy and stiff but give poor traction. I do like the tubeless tires, no pinch flats for a month on the rocks and stumps, just a bent axle and a pulverized freewheel. I think I bent the axle which caused the freewheel to be broken in pieces. The freewheel was only two weeks old. I never even heard of anyone doing that. When I took the freewheel apart I got a hand full of loose bearings and broken parts. The old friction shift and 1990s index tripple chain wheels also worked better than the stuff they are selling the last few years. Several bikes in our club have poor working 3 ring chain wheels and people, including me, are starting to switch to 1 x 9, 10 or 11. In my opinion some of the new bike technology is amazingly good and some of it is junk. Unfortunately I have not been able to get good information on whats right for me. It's been trial and error, which is expensive. I just gave away a 2014 Trek Excalibur that I bought new last year for $850. Trek would't answer my complaints, the shop couldn't fix the shifting issues and the 29 inch technology wasn't for me. With the 29er you don't feel like you are sitting on top of the wheels, you feel like you are between the wheels. Everyone in our club including the gals have them and love them but I couldn't get the hang of it. I crashed on every ride and went back to 26 inch wheels and my riding is progressing again. I gave it away and figured that was cheaper than hurting myself on it. If I still owned it I would probably try to ride it which would not be good. I have a similar problem with my fat bike and so I only ride it in the snow where the landing is soft. Bike technology is full of fads, like the cable down tube, the extended handlebar ends, chain stay mounted rolled brake, etc, etc. I wonder if the 29er is here to stay? I'll get off my soap box now.

Decided they were not worth the hassle. Switching back to the gum wall tires even thought I like the look of the all black ones.
I guess these go in the trash?

Finally getting to put this thing back together. Had a terrible time painting the fenders with paint not sticking then tried to pinstripe and that was a failer so keeping it simple. Still need to put the rear fender on and wrap the handlebars with some faux leather wrap. And even though I have had the rear hub apart 3 times still can not figure out why the petals rotate when I am just pushing the bike. But wanted to post some thing before heading out for Thanksgiving holiday.

Finally getting to put this thing back together. Had a terrible time painting the fenders with paint not sticking then tried to pinstripe and that was a failer so keeping it simple. Still need to put the rear fender on and wrap the handlebars with some faux leather wrap. And even though I have had the rear hub apart 3 times still can not figure out why the petals rotate when I am just pushing the bike. But wanted to post some thing before heading out for Thanksgiving holiday.
Your bike looks nice - put it on my computer as wallpaper.:thumbsup:

Really hating Rustoleum now. Did I say how much I hate it? Decided to add a bracket for a reflector. Sprayed it yesterday around 2pm and as of this morning at 11 am it is still tacky. I even brought it inside my air conditioned house (78 degrees) overnight to dry. On top of that my scratch repair that I did on monday the 23rd and let it dry till sunday the 29th wrinkled on me. I do not remember ever having so much trouble as a kid building bikes.

Latest posts

Back