mystery bike 24" bmx/cruiser conversion.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built this for the local bike coop.
unknown brand 24" mountain bike. It came in with the lay back seat post so that was my clue to do a baby cruiser rebuild.
Some one had pealed all the decals off leaving the goo and a rather ugly mess. I tried about 5 products until I got to the orange spray cleaner that took it right off.
Aluminum rims, single speed freewheel, bmx bars, bmx stem, alloy v-brakes (it had cantis),
donor parts came from the hundreds of previously scraped out bikes.
I had to redish and respace the rear wheel to get the chain line happy.

Took it for a short test ride. Too cold to go far.

Rick

IMG_2655 by newbo bikes, on Flickr

IMG_2654 by newbo bikes, on Flickr

IMG_2653 by newbo bikes, on Flickr

IMG_2652 by newbo bikes, on Flickr

IMG_2651 by newbo bikes, on Flickr

Was it already that blue? Looks good.

Yes, well at first it was all gummy grey and dirt. There were a ton of decals on it at one time and most of the frame was covered in glue residue and all the dirt that stuck to that. The orange cleaner did a pretty good job at getting it clean and then I waxed it. For as bad as it initially looked, there were very few chips on it.

The ride is decent, nothing squirrely about it. I still see plenty of adults riding bmx bikes. Bikes they grew up on and they don't want to give them up even though they are way too small to sit on and pedal. Hey, consider upsizing guys. 24" or 26" cruisers are good too.

rick

Ya, that glue is the worst. I used "goo gone", lacquer thinner, nail polish remover. Lots of scrubbin to get it off. What brand of orange cleaner did you use?

Araya51 what kind of frame is that? Looks very long. I recently ran across a Huffy Colorado early trail bike that looked similar.

Araya51 what kind of frame is that? Looks very long. I recently ran across a Huffy Colorado early trail bike that looked similar.
I'm not sure.. I came across this f/f set a few years ago and sat in my collection till I finally did something with it and here is the end result. Also a mystery frame..

Latest posts

Back