(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to swap the dropouts on a vintage frame for some new disc ones, but omg. $$$

The aluminum bits in these are eminently adaptable to pre-war Schwinn with a little creativity (like welding in a rear hoop to contain them) and they'll sell you just the inserts separately if you don't want the whole kit for about half price... at least they were willing to do so a year o so ago :)

NOV_DROP_115_SLR.jpg

A while back I bought the whole set, and the castings themselves are thick enough that my plan was to slot them (would be along the plane that makes up your monitor screen) and trim off most of the OG dropout into a C-shape and insert it as a stub then have it welded up... if your frame wasn't crimped like a Schwinn you could install as they were intended by just snipping the tube. Not the cheapest solution in the world, but certainly easy, and lets you swap between 650B/29er or 650b/26" set ups at will depending which wheels you get the better deal on and how you initially weld them in.

Oh, well, you oughta just find a good Specialized, Kona, Trek, or really any good MTB from the 90s, and roll. Absolutely crazy to seek out a frame with an American shell if you're just gonna run a BSC/"Euro" adaptor anyway... the bikes with the geometry and lightweight tubing will all have a threaded BSC shell as standard...

I think my Kona would look rad with a mid-tube welded in there.... something I've thought of in the past, but cannot really justify. It's just a chromoly full-rigid, 3x9 gears, v-brakes, decent stuff I'd built it up with, but ppl are usually surprised by the "light weight", mostly b/c folks are used to the front-heavy bikes of today, with suspension forks and discs. My mtb is well-balanced, mostly b/c no one part or system is overweight...
I have an idea I want to bounce off you. I am small and could not master the 29er craze. I just traded my 2014 Trek 29er for a 2002 Specialized as I was going to kill myself on the 29er. The Specialized has been upgraded to include discs, upgraded shocks and 1x9 gearing (11x36 with a 28 tooth thick thin chainwheel). This is the best gear compromise for our trails and me after trying several combos with the 26 inch wheel. What a sweet riding bike for me and fits me like a glove. From the experience with the Specialized I have decided that the the Trek frame I was going to use for this build off is too big. Why waste the time on it. I really have not found a substitute frame. Last year I passed on several and this year have found none. I am thinking of buying the 1937 Columbia 3 star tribute bike and using that frame. I would probably modify the rear triangle and use an old 26 inch BMX fork I have. I have read that this frame is small. I would build a hybrid with drum brakes. I would repaint it, and leave the tank. I get strange looks and a lot of comments on the trail from my clunkers and I think a tank bike would really give people something to comment on. I would plan to race it next summer. Any suggestions - pros or cons? Should I just keep looking for another frame?

Honestly? For that kind of money and the work you are going to put into it by throwing away all the craptastic WallyWorld parts, you are still likely to end up with a frame you'll snap in half as it sounds like you actually intend to RIDE this bike off road. Those retros they're selling are intend for septuagenarians to strap behinds their motorhome an toodle around the KOA and not much more. If you look around you can easily find an original frame with the tank for $150 and build yourself something that A: will hold together and won't kill you, and B: you'll have some chance of getting your investment back out of if you decided to sell it down the road. The older bikes were designed with 12-year-olds in mind, and while the 26" frame will usually swallow 27.5" wheels as they are intended for fenders, if you're really that small of stature you could go with a 24" frame which in most cases will have no trouble taking 26" wheels.

Honestly? For that kind of money and the work you are going to put into it by throwing away all the craptastic WallyWorld parts, you are still likely to end up with a frame you'll snap in half as it sounds like you actually intend to RIDE this bike off road. Those retros they're selling are intend for septuagenarians to strap behinds their motorhome an toodle around the KOA and not much more. If you look around you can easily find an original frame with the tank for $150 and build yourself something that A: will hold together and won't kill you, and B: you'll have some chance of getting your investment back out of if you decided to sell it down the road. The older bikes were designed with 12-year-olds in mind, and while the 26" frame will usually swallow 27.5" wheels as they are intended for fenders, if you're really that small of stature you could go with a 24" frame which in most cases will have no trouble taking 26" wheels.

Yeah, I recently bought a China Schwinn Sanctuary for the parts to put on an old Schwinn girls frame. Now that you mention it I remember the manual warned that it is rated for 100 KG or 65 pounds more than I weigh. New Schwinn's are built a little better than most of the other China junk to. High speed downhill rock washouts or our trail with a 3 flight section of abandoned concrete stairs will probably add way more than 65 additional pounds of stress. I already bent my 29er wheels twice on the stairs, which is one of the reasons I hate big wheels and gave up on 29ers. I have 3 klunkers built on vintage frames but they either lack ground clearance or chain line clearance which cause a lot of compromises. One of my 2 CWC kunkers is starting to crack where the head tube meets the down tube and I need to put some brazing or welding in the crack. It will go the a certified welder to see what it needs. I broke my homemade Klunker frame this summer but it didn't come in two, just felt like a swing bike after a small rock drop. It had taken a lot harder abuse and it seemed strange that it would get fatigued and fracture on such a minor bump. Once is enough. I don't want to cut up a classic to make what I want. I need a 26 inch bike, using other size wheels messes up the geometry. I need to start with an early 1990s chromo rigid mb frame that fits me. I need to have patience and look for a real frame. Thanks for talking me out of this very bad idea. I never even thought about China frames being unsuitable for what I do. Now I am worried about my late 1980s Huffy 26 inch BMX style fork thats on my Columbia Klunker. I think it needs replacing as it has taken a lot of abuse from a 30 mile MB race this summer. It seems good but now I am worried.

If it's any consolation, my BO frame is now a '96 Schwinn Homegrown hardtail... which was $150 shipped, aluminum, USA made and more than strong enough for anything thing I will ever throw at it. No, it's doesn't satisfy pre-war retro cool, but it will be retro it it's own way ;)

Was going to do pre-war Schwinn (lady's) chianstays grafted to a modern cromo front triangle- euro BB, theadless head tube, the works, but the 'do your own welding' thing DQ'd me from the get go. If a high BB is what you're after, I don't think you're going to find much higher than 36-39 Schwinn, if you can tolerate the lax HT angle and high price tag.

If it's any consolation, my BO frame is now a '96 Schwinn Homegrown hardtail... which was $150 shipped, aluminum, USA made and more than strong enough for anything thing I will ever throw at it. No, it's doesn't satisfy pre-war retro cool, but it will be retro it it's own way ;)

Was going to do pre-war Schwinn (lady's) chianstays grafted to a modern cromo front triangle- euro BB, theadless head tube, the works, but the 'do your own welding' thing DQ'd me from the get go. If a high BB is what you're after, I don't think you're going to find much higher than 36-39 Schwinn, if you can tolerate the lax HT angle and high price tag.

Yeah, the price tag on the old Schwinn plus cutting it up, not good. I have 2 50's Schwinn's and they both bang pedals just going around corners on the street, not at all like the old ones. My 1950 Columbia based klunker originally had 7.5 inch cranks on it which I replaced with 6.5" but I still bent both pedal cages in the one race I had it in this summer. My own welding was the reason my homemade klunker frame broke at the seat post tube this summer. I am getting better at welding but it takes practice. I have 3 rear triangles from 1980s cruisers. I want to cut one of them up and put it on a chromo MB frame but the one I have is 18" and I need 17". I thought I could use it anyway but after riding on a 17" Specialized I realized you really need a good fit. You can always stretch the cockpit a little with seat location and goosenecks but shrinking one is not as effective for me. I have 4 vintage Araya rims, vintage front and rear drum brakes, thumb shifters, rat trap pedals and 1970s Maxy crank but no frame. My stable is missing a hybrid klunker. I am going to hold tight for the right frame. I might build the wheels and put everything on another frame just for the build off if I can't find the right frame, or just not bother. Can't decide now. Homegrowns make good MB rats. I had a Homegrown frame but broke the rear triangle, such a shame.

Hence the lady''s frame... can usually score them for $30-40 :) And of course you'll bother, you've already go all the parts :) you know the disease will bite you.

The aluminum bits in these are eminently adaptable to pre-war Schwinn with a little creativity (like welding in a rear hoop to contain them) and they'll sell you just the inserts separately if you don't want the whole kit for about half price... at least they were willing to do so a year o so ago :)

NOV_DROP_115_SLR.jpg
Hey CM....sent me a link to where you got these converters....thanks.

Yeah, but there's the whole ability thing ;) You've worked with kids, you know how it is, somewhere along the way you just say "gimmie that, let me do it" and 'their project they did all by themselves' turns in to 90% dad with kiddo holding the tools and taking the credit... that'd be "my" welding and not very honorable. Me tacking it together doesn't count. I don't think I'd be pushing the needle too far to have someone replace the drops to repair/modify a pair of existing forks, but taking credit for an entire frame whose welds were only 10% (or less) mine wouldn't cut it in my eye.

I could just get brave and just tack and braise I suppose, that'd be in my wheelhouse, but ug, here comes the disease again... just once I'd like to stick a plan for an entire calendar month lol.

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/home.php

Definitely a company you want to make sure you make your shopping list before you buy... their prices are reasonable, shipping minimums not so much... especially for those of us in California who are just down the road form them. For example: Canti brake studs, $1.04 ea. Shipping? $14 and change.

Great folks, knowledgeable and quick to answer questions, fast shippers with great service. They hit all the right notes, but they definitely give you every incentive to place larger single orders and not several smaller ones. They have a euro BB shell with pre-drilled gas-relief holes which is very nice, and the "BMX" BB shell (American) is a VERY stout, beautifully machined, internally relieved work of 4130 art.

Ok, I tossed my uphill racer build idea (who wants to pedal that hard?)
I've found a straight bar frame, and I'm building a classic Klunker with a theme.
Things we've discussed in other threads, ideas tossed about as fun and frivolity.
For now all I have is a name, Dead Metal. Goin' to get the frame this weekend.

Carl. ;)

i am in for my first ever official build-off comp participation:D
i scored a cantilever frame for pennies:thumbsup: (Manhattan aero) its a modern steal frame ..
the one i got is just like this but needs allot of love , was left outside for a while
AD-M-FBK.jpg

and the vision..
AD-M-FBK_zpsyvl5fw0f.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I tossed my uphill racer build idea (who wants to pedal that hard?)
I've found a straight bar frame, and I'm building a classic Klunker with a theme.
Things we've discussed in other threads, ideas tossed about as fun and frivolity.
For now all I have is a name, Dead Metal. Goin' to get the frame this weekend.

Carl. ;)
That's an interesting name! I have something similiar brewing!

Latest posts

Back