YETI Coolers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Lately it seems that YETI coolers have become a status symbol and a fad that people are flocking to. I personally can't understand anyone dropping hundreds of dollars on a cooler but that's just me.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my vintage 'rat rod' version. ;)

101_0202_zps3rjkxxbw.jpg

I took this to the local cruise in last night in my bus and it got as much attention as some of the cars. :21:

Yeah, I don't understand the rage over them lately, Seen a couple people with yeti thermo cups today and all I could think was WHY?
They get the cups, hats and decals for their vehicles because they can't afford the coolers!:crazy2:

Coolers are pretty cool when paired with the right build theam. I recently traded a Snap on impact set of sockets for a Coke cooler for my daughters lowered VA Bug.....they haven't yet delivered the cooler but will be a great project to when they do.....

I collect quite a few different items and I've been asked "why" several times....my answer.....because I like to.
The weird one for me was beanie babies!

Bart

Just to be clear, what I don't get is people spending hundreds of dollars on NEW 'Yeti' coolers. A good Igloo cooler or even a cheap styrofoam cooler will do the job for me. I'm sure that they are good coolers that are well insulated, but for 4 or 5 hundred dollars, I can buy an extra bag or two of ice if I need it!:bigsmile:

The reason I made my own 'Vintage Yeti' was just to have a little fun with it. It really had a lot of people guessing even though YETI has only been around for a few years. I think I gave about $10 for this Sears cooler at a flea market. We'll have to wait another 25 years to see if real YETI coolers have the same nostalgic feel and if they will retain their inflated value!

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what I don't get is people spending hundreds of dollars on NEW 'Yeti' coolers. A good Igloo cooler or even a cheap styrofoam cooler will do the job for me. I'm sure that they are good coolers that are well insulated, but for 4 or 5 hundred dollars, I can buy an extra bag or two of ice if I need it!:bigsmile:

The reason I made my own 'Vintage Yeti' was just to have a little fun with it. It really had a lot of people guessing even though YETI has only been around for a few years. I think I gave about $10 for this Sears cooler at a flea market. We'll have to wait another 25 years to see if real YETI coolers have the same nostalgic feel and if they will retain their inflated value!
You know I've been wondering if those big floating bobber coolers will be valuable in 50 years.... probably not,but they're great for kayaking and cabrewing.

How much?????? For a new cooler?? WOW!!! I go to Brimfield Ma.(big antique/collectors show in the NE) a few times a year and their is one Vendor with all the right cool man cave stuff including Coke Coolers. I have never seen so many mostly premium different Coke coolers in one place. They were pricy but not the numbers for a Yeti whatever!

If you really want to blow their minds....wear your North Face jacket while you carry your Yeti. :bigsmile:
Hmmm, maybe I need to work on a 'vintage' North Face logo next and screen it on an old CPO jacket. :39::wink1:

Anyone else remember having a CPO jacket back in the 70's?:nerd:

CPO Jackets - Now there is a blast from the past!
Next thing you'll be breaking out the Hang Ten shirts and Toughskin jeans.

Having lived on the road and cooking on my tailgate for several years, I can tell you that the Yeti coolers do outperform the best cooler you can buy at Walmart. That said...you can buy a LOT of hamburger meat for what they get fro the silly things. I never bought one but a guy who ran with us did have one and his ice always lasted longer.. That means a lot when outside temps are 95-110 degrees.

So there is a practical reason to own one....but the price is insane.

I'd love to show up with a classic cooler like that when we stop for the night with someone around with a real Yeti....:rofl:

No need for one today...I don't do OTR anymore and its already frost time in New England.

I just can't justify spending that much cash on a cooler. I'm sure there are many other things I don't need that I could spend it on!

Here is my cooler. Works great in the winter, but in the summer, I just have to drink faster.

I picked up this Little Brown Chest cooler at a yard sale this weekend.

WP_20151010_11_03_25_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back