What the heck are these?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
These wheels are from some type of moped, but I don't have any idea what. The rear has a belt drive pulley on the left and a freewheel cog on the right. There are mounting bosses instead of a center axle and it has drum brakes. It also has a lever to disengage the drive pulley. The front is a drum brake hub and has provision for a speedometer. They both measure approximately 18" in diameter.

Anybody have any idea what they came from? They looked interesting, so I had to buy them.:)

wheels_zpsbx1l5nwj.jpg

hubs_zpsobu2z33b.jpg

Wow! I can't help with an ID, but what an amazing setup!
What is the function of the vinyl coated lever on the rear hub? It appears to be a range selector?
The lever engages/disengages the pulley drive. I'm assuming it functions as a neutral so that when you use the chain drive side, the belt pulley doesn't rotate.

They are from a Honda moped. The belt drive is for the engine and when you disengage it with the lever, you can pedal the moped like a bicycle which is the chain side.
Thanks!

You nailed it, I googled it and found the Honda Hobbit.
1978-Honda-PA50-Hobbit.jpg

f3754f70798e5502656525c1763f4309.jpg

It is coincidental that you posted this question, because I was clueless about these mopeds until last week when someone brought me one to see if I could fix their flat tire. I fixed the tire and they asked if I could figure out how to make it pedal easier. I discovered the release lever had been broken off. I made one out of an old 10 speed shifter and it worked perfectly.

can anyone here fix a VELO SOLEX moped? I have a project., and LOTS of questions :p

Just saw this post,good catch on the Honda wheels. Could also be Hero Majestic,as they made clones.

The velo solex is a tough one,but I have seen a link on Google for an English translation of the manual when I tried to buy one last summer.
I hear they're not the easiest to put together,but will run forever if done proper. Good luck with it.

:39: The only way I know of to fix something with a Solex label is to replace it with one labeled Weber or Carter.o_O Unfortunately, I don't think they build mopeds.:crazy:

darn, thats a shame. wonder if a foreign auto repair would bother with it...

Im a moped man. I agree with all above statements regarding the solex. Prevailing wisdom says drop & run. However, I know the pull of a fun European project. I'm sure if you ask around you will find some person with an undying love for these dead machines. My old man can fix litterally any small engine he can get parts for. So find a parts supply, then some old timer who just knows bike engines. An engine is an engine. Good luck. Second choice...Franken bike. Briggs or honda power plant.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Im a moped man. I agree with all above statements regarding the solex. Prevailing wisdom says drop & run. However, I know the pull of a fun European project. I'm sure if you ask around you will find some person with an undying love for these dead machines. My old man can fix litterally any small engine he can get parts for. So find a parts supply, then some old timer who just knows bike engines. An engine is an engine. Good luck. Second choice...Franken bike. Briggs or honda power plant.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Thanks so Much!

Sorry for derailing the conversations above about the bike at hand :p It is a wonderful piece of machinery.

Sorry for derailing the conversations above about the bike at hand :p It is a wonderful piece of machinery.
Not really derailed at this point. Crassly answered my question.:thumbsup:

I must admit this has been most fun about old solex. FZ how about doing a thread on it? It might be away to get help! I like to see you getting it to run.
I'll consider it., it is posted in Motorized bicycles thread here on RRB,. but few took interest and most shoved me off onto "Brian Solex", a guru with the machines who just offers what information he knows and links to parts.. which is great., but I need someone to mail me like a reprint of how my engine should be assembled step by step., or some sort of a learned diagram that isnt in french :p

I'll consider it., it is posted in Motorized bicycles thread here on RRB,. but few took interest and most shoved me off onto "Brian Solex", a guru with the machines who just offers what information he knows and links to parts.. which is great., but I need someone to mail me like a reprint of how my engine should be assembled step by step., or some sort of a learned diagram that isnt in french :p
I don't know if it will help but myrons mopeds website has some exploded diagrams.
Might be worth a look.

Latest posts

Back