Removing paint painted on top of factory paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got an old Raleigh that I thought was Blue, with some way over painted white on the headtube, any some of the Blue has flaked away leaving the metallic Red over gold base factory paint!!
How do I best remove the Blue and White without harming the original paint underneath?
Thanks

If it's spray paint on top, I have used carburetor cleaner. Go slowly and carefully in case there are decals under there you want to preserve. I'm sure there are other and probably better methods. This way has worked for me numerous times and it's really cheap.

Try oven cleaner. Spray on and let sit, time depending how tough paint is. Then wipe with cloth/sponge soaked in lots of water. Keep rinsing the cloth as you go along. You may want to wear gloves and do this outside.

Thanks this is a help for me also I was wondering about this problem. I have an 40s Elgin that is painted blue over original red . 000 steal wool may hep to scrub lightly with with your cleaner .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goof off graffiti remover is your best friend for spray paint removal. a lot of paint removers will dull the gloss of the original paint. just don't leave it on to long. and any thing you use to scrub can really scuff the paint. i use the graffiti remover and a sponge or rags. easy off oven cleaner will eat into aluminum.

A lot will depend on what they painted it with, be careful with oven cleaner it will eat into some original paint but not all, always try a small spot first with any cleaner, I use goof off pro strength but go slowly and tape off pinstrips if any working to one side of them at a time. I cleaned a early pope bike that was painted blue and the original maroon paint under it was unreal cond. the graffiti remover and regular strength goof off didn't touch it but again depends what type of paint they used, just need to experiment with diff. removers I took the least potent and worked up to find out the one that would work for my app. take your time is key and use a white cloth on any colored bike so you can see if it is starting to eat into the original paint color I sprayed the cleaner right on the rag and worked a small area at a time rinsing a lot

Latest posts

Back