wifes ride buildup 50' or 60's amf built western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well here it is as y'all may have expected this bike is now in the builds section.
my wifes amf built western flyer
year and model is unknown but it has some really art décor looks to it.
the star sprocket I think is my biggest score I been wanting one of these forever and now she has one.
she also features peaked fenders and a cool rack with rocket shaped corners on the back.
my plans are to do a lace paintjob and going to recover the Schwinn s seat with black velvet.
also going to put the original wheels back on her with whitewalls.
not sure what else but it is going to be a cruiser.
the beginning bike as y'all have seen already I am sure.

digging this rear rack I love the styling on it never seen one like this but it is cool and going to stay on

probably my favorite feature the star sprocket.

this is my inspiration for the paint I want to do only I want to keep the bike blue so I might doa 2 tone light blue base with dark blue lace pattern over it then clearcoat it

for those who do not know what lace paint is it is an old school method where you use lace fabric as a template and spray over the fabric on a lighter color the results come out phenominal and really make a paintjob stand out it is a old school method that has died out but I love old school.
more updates soon.
sean

well a little progress and better pictures of this one.
she cleaned up nicely but still lots of work to do some bodywork is needed on the rear fender from rust and I would like to clean up the reweld on the frame but it is getting there.
this is the reweld I would like to clean up a bit but tis sturdy just ugly.

the rear hub grease fitting is good and working and hub is all lubed up.

original western flyer grips need some attention but not too bad may replace them with originals if I can find a better set in this color.

the peaked fender looks good but it has a bad spot under the rack I need to fix .

side view of her as you can see it ahs been a busy day lol.

quite possibly my favorite part of the bike and what made me buy her the star sprocket cleaned up nicely.

another cool feature on this bike si the rear rack it is cool and has the curves formed into it I might add some rocket taillight lenses on the ends.

close up of the rear rack so you can see the curves built into her.

pedals need rebuild but I managed to tighten them up a bit.

If I may say so, I like the lace paint idea, I think painting your blue over a white paint with gold pearl would look really cool...
actually I am keeping this bikes original paint I cannot help myself I love it the way it is but I am going to do a lace paintjob on another project and I like those color ideas makes my creative mind begin working

Ya gonna put any lights such as tail lights in the back of that rack in the 3 white areas of the rack I just had a vision or 3 matching glass red reflectors oh sooooo cool.
I actually was considering rocket lights on it but I am unsure how to wire them up but I like you're thinking on the lights that would look awesome
sean

Latest posts

Back