Kos Kruising

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kkaa.jpg

I admit that I’d never heard of Jeff Kosmala till I started researching the white Kos Kruiser 26” BMX that caught my eye in the flood of Bacn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacn) that hits my in-box some days. The fact that my bike shop had reduced the price by $400 made me notice it first. Then I looked into it.

Kos was a champion BMX racer in the 80’s and the bike is homage to the style of Mongoose machine he operated – use your Ph.D. in Google if you don’t know the story. It's all there. Famous as.

kk1.jpg

Until now I’d assumed that anything BMX was just going to be too small for a 6’5” guy like me and the genre had flown pretty much under my radar, apart from being amazed at the skill of the kids who do what they do.

But then, the more I looked into it, the more it seemed that this was the next logical step in returning to fitness from the fat lump I had become. A 26” BMX – I didn’t really know they existed. Very interesting.

I started pedalling off the pounds with a beach cruiser, then as I got progressively fitter I converted my mountain bike to an urban comfort bike (thanks for the inspiration RRB) and started enjoying riding daily and replacing errands that once I would have done on my motorcycle - with pedal power.

I’m still not fit, but I’m getting there, and I don’t see myself being a skate park hero either, way too old and brittle, but I do like gutter hopping and chasing small air and the Kos seemed to be well specified for the type of punishment my 260lb (currently) payload will dish out.

It’s only a homage – not a faithful reproduction of the 80’s units. This 2013 model has full Chromoly frame, forks and bars, pro class hubs with sealed bearings, heavy-duty crank, double wall rims, 14g stainless spokes and no ‘baggage’ – making it what I hoped would be the perfect addition to my fleet. I guess it was price reduced so much because it’s a niche bike in a world that seems to have gone carbon-and-full-suspension-mountain-bike crazy.

kk2.jpg

A 29er would have probably been a more logical choice for a man my size too. But maybe I’m just an old-school fool because it turns out I like it even more than I hoped.

My butt and calves are killing me now because I’ve had it three days and can’t keep off it. It’s currently parked in my office and I may or may not have been doing late night laps in the house on it (depending if my wife is reading this while she is overseas).

kkoff.jpg

It will need a little bit of tweaking for a really good fit. I already had a lay-back seat post in stock – and some white spray enamel, and I have some 2” taller and 2” wider white BMX bars in the mail.

kk3.jpg

I’m also going to replace the Carlisle Aggressor knobby tyres with some more urban-oriented Maxxis Hookworm rubber – they should be here next week too – like the new bars and brake cables - and then it will be ‘job done’ – and look out anything I can jump it off.

kkbars.jpg

kktyre.jpg

The Carlisles are pretty good on pavement, but they do slide on the edge knobs when cranked over hard – quite predictably, but the Hookworms are designed for the type of riding I want to chase - and for big hits.

As for general riding I really enjoy the bike’s quickness of steering and direct feel, yet it’s not twitchy and is very stable, particularly when performing tight turns when standing.

The 40 tooth motomag chainwheel is geared just right too. It surprised me just how well. A single speed freewheeler probably isn’t what you want to ride clear across town, but it’s great off-road and across the paddocks and it deals with moderate inclines remarkably well. Ergonomics that work standing up while pedalling help a lot.

Overall, it’s a bike that suits a reasonably specific application, and one that I wouldn’t choose as my ‘only’ bike, but for doing the job it’s designed for, I think it’s turning out to be a rare white gem. An excellent addition to my existing RRB's.

electra.jpg

com11.jpg

Ahh – enough typing - I might just go for a ride and chuck a few wheelies right now :)

kka.jpg

Last edited:
Cool bike.
I decided to build a klunker/bmx kind of bike because I found myself jumping things on my electra cruiser.

So today's chapter in the 'experience is a good school but the fees are high' book: Stick with the chromoly components. One aggressive turn, a bump and a sinking feeling ensued.

It's only supposed to have one bend.

post.jpg

Not good! You have brought back memories of high school with that! I used to go through two or three a year...

Just thinking, you may be able to straighten it and slide a reinforcing pipe inside, depends if you are happy to add extra weight...

Luke.

Cheers - All good thanks - it only partly bent in the field - it really let go when I bounced on it back in the shed to see what was up.

It's shot Luke - badly creased just above where it went into the frame.

I do have one of these on the way from ebay
stem.jpg

that I was going to use on MTB cruiser, I might give it a try - but I still think the weak spot is always going to be just above the collar with the angle it comes out of the frame at.

I think a hardened MTB-style unit will be a better option

Mr Slowriderz products look great.
In the meantime I've fitted the taller and wider BMX handlebars and they can angle further forward than the stockers. Subsequently moving the saddle aft for fit isn't as important. I'll think I'll live with it for a while.
I also fitted the Maxxis Hookworms tonight and they are excellent. The very round profile adds to the quickness of the steering and they are a 'plush' ride compared to the knobbies. They look pretty cool too.
As it's an 80's throwback I reckon I'm 'stoked' with them.
maxxis.jpg

You can wear a tee and shorts for daytime riding pretty much all year round here in Brisbane. Today was one of those perfect for a pedal, late Autumn days, so I packed up the Jeep, Dawg (and pocket camera) and headed down to Moreton Bay. Better when the tide is higher, but the dawg (and me) had a lovely 10km ride around the foreshore.

This was on the camera card from the last expedition on the Electra. I took it for the hauler section. But hey.

bay2.jpg

Today we took the Kos.
bay1.jpg

Was a great day to be out in it.
bay3.jpg

bay5.jpg

I wasn't the only one who digs my bicycles :)
bay4.jpg

Latest posts

Back