Los Angeles Area Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey,

It's Gig. If you live in the Los Angeles area and you're doing a build please let me know. There has been some talk about doing a TV show about the RRB hobby. I made the following suggestions below in reply to a post on this forum. I have been told that I am a pretty good director and writer (told this by friends I've helped out) but I see an opportunity to honestly highlight builders & builds without the contrived antics we see on reality shows of today. I do realize the antics are part of the fun but I'm an oddball. They rarely amuse me. I've had the TV show idea too, as I work in television but it wasn't anything like I am suggesting here. I just want to make short videos that are of good quality and post them on YouTube - hopefully on the already existing RRB channel with permission. Send me a PM with your contact info along with a brief description of the build and the best time to reach you. Even better if you've got a RRB shirt with your name on it. I do. Thank you.

- Gig

"Hey,

It's Gig. I have worked on various types of TV shows and films for nearly 20 years. Believe me when I tell you if you can be entertaining start by making YouTube videos. With nothing more than your phone for a camera and some inexpensive editing software you can get out there. Gain a following and then do a show. Do whatever you can to get very good sound. Sound is hugely important. I would suggest a community effort. Have various builders make videos about how we build our bikes and post them to a common channel. Here is where what I am suggesting will sound insane: don't post the videos anywhere else for about 2 years. Why not put them on your own channel, because then viewers can see we are a community of people and it's not just one guy in his shed who absent-mindedly forgets to remove the rust and paints his bicycle with clear or glow in the dark coating. Pick YouTube, Vimeo, or Ustream. I suggest YouTube because it is where many folks will look first for videos. By consolidating the videos in one place you keep it a community and build the fan base as well as an amazing library of videos. Once you have numerous videos you get a voice-over guy and a real editor. Take you videos from YouTube and intercut builds from various builders and draw out the build over the course of about 23 minutes which will leave time for commercials. Once you have two of these edited videos you are ready to start shopping the show to networks.

Audiences love watching things be made or refurbished. Just turn on the DIY Network, HGTV, or Velocity for a myriad of examples. The eyeballs are there and they are attached to wallets. I have given this a lot of thought. You are probably wondering why I haven't done it myself. I haven't because I work 5-7 days each week and I refuse to begin all of my thoughts with the word 'So.' "

Nope. I will put some things together for my builds that are unsold. I don't like directing myself on camera and I have to make a few to show others how I would want them made. I can wear all the hats. I just have to get through the next three weeks of intense work and then I will record.

- by Gigmata

hey gig,
I spent about 15 years in LA, mostly working at "the Brewery" in various adult industry positions, from designing, webmastering, photographer video editor, programmer, model psycologyst, creative director to drug mule... I developed alot of skills... eventually it all ended up burning me out and I walked....
i'm down below now set up in Santa Ana and starting to build a little momentum lately making bikes. I havent done any videos yet, but I have been building a site detailing my builds and the site is now beginning to generate inquiry's from people interested in having me build for them.
I learned to shoot video with editing later mind, things like shooting b-reel on the same tape along with the main shots... basic composition stuff, or as much as an adult vid would typically use.
I just upgraded to a Galaxy s6 mobile and I swear the cameras it comes with almost put the ones I was using before to shame... dual camera mode? so one could shoot and narrate simultaneously now... a 16 mpxl wide aperture lens?

I will do some experiments while i'm building this week. If any dont' totally suck, i'd be willing to contribute for the greater good of this idea.

dg

Hey DG,

I appreciate that. Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself. I am going to talk with Norm from Venice Motor Bikes tomorrow. I would like to do a story on him, his inspiration, and his work. It sounds like you are a great candidate for a similar project. I don't like filming or directing myself. I would rather have others run the camera and I will stand in front of it or behind it. Please share some of your pics of bikes you still have. I might not be able to follow you building a bike but certainly we can profile and record a bit of you doing your thing in your workshop. What do you think?

Gig

- by Gigmata

Hey DG,

I appreciate that. Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself. I am going to talk with Norm from Venice Motor Bikes tomorrow. I would like to do a story on him, his inspiration, and his work. It sounds like you are a great candidate for a similar project. I don't like filming or directing myself. I would rather have others run the camera and I will stand in front of it or behind it. Please share some of your pics of bikes you still have. I might not be able to follow you building a bike but certainly we can profile and record a bit of you doing your thing in your workshop. What do you think?

Gig

- by Gigmata

Well, I do appreciate your consideration for the opportunity to be included.
I would be open for that.
current bikes are my schwinn scrambler, a ladies greenline, and my electra w/ a micargi ladies cruiser currently in progress

dg.

20150514_094953-1.jpg
10486956_10152551984173444_1672751073_o.jpg
20150602_125522.jpg
20150602_163858.jpg

Latest posts

Back