26/24 or 26/22 Super Slingshot?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rim came in today. I should wait to get the tire/tube for a more accurate comparison, but as you can see... it's smaller.

6I1bZo.jpg

Looks like a good choice, that will be a nice difference from the rear.

The tire is on the way. The guy told me he's never seen it's twin. Personally I didn't even know 22" existed, so this will be an interesting point in the project, having such a unique wheel up front.

(this is the time when you reply "oh, I've seen hundreds of those! :blackeye:)

22 is def an oddball. What's even odder is there are 4 different sizes of 22 inch rims. The size you chose is most common for wheelchairs. Good news is most of the wheelchair tires look similar to the old muscle bike 1 3/8 front tires. Just make sure you get black as it looks like most of them are grey.

Sounds like you got the right tire. I can't believe how much the wheelchair tires look like a tire that would have come on a muscle bike. I think this is a grey one but should be the same tread.

T42_LARGE.jpg

I think that 22 looks like it will work for you. Personally I didn't know about the 22" rim size. I instantly thought 27" in back with24" up front if the 27 would fit in back.

...You don't mention anything about the fork length though. How much are you adding to it to keep the frame on the same angle as when it had 2 wheels the same size?
I'm a ways off from figuring that out. This thread was just to determine the wheel size. Once I actually start the project for the MBBO, and build the wheels, I'll have to figure out the length of the forks to get the right stance.

This was all in an effort to start collecting parts and thoughts on the project. The build comes in... October? I forget when we start the MBBOs.

R

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back