(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a YEAR from now???
Ok, I'm in... unless I'm not...
Then I'm out.
(but I've got a killer build in mind)

Carl.

So a YEAR from now???
Yes, that is just the way it worked out, a few builders really wanted the MBBO to keep going, so this one got bumped to the WBO slot...

Luke.

I likely will build a Klunker. This will give me time to save-up for and locate another aluminum Felt to revamp. I already have a name. It will be utterly different from the other bikes I've done. I am gonna go back to my rattle can roots. Those roots run deep.

- by Gigmata

Well, no frame so far, but this isn't the time of year they show up in thrift stores. But, I have started collecting and putting parts in a box. So far I have collected older front and rear drum brakes (DBS Gigant front and a New Arai full width rear), Bendix cable operated 2 speed coaster (probably won't use this but it is in the box), alloy rims, spokes, crank, 24 tooth single chain wheel, pedals (still looking for a better set), seat, front derailleur (it fits one inch tubing but I probably will go with just a rear derailleur), rear derailleur, chain, shifters, old five speed cluster with a 32 tooth bailout gear, head badges, front fork (I am still looking for a BMX style one but I have a horseshoe modern cruiser type that I could use) and vintage handlebars (looking for a better set of these with no rust). I am looking for silver brass spoke nipples. Most are 12 mm, a few are 14 mm (everyone seems to be out of stock of these) but what I really want are the old 19 mm brass ones from 50 years ago. I will probably have to go with the 12 mm. Not the real stuff they used in the 70s but the flavor is there. So far I only have $49 new money in all this stuff. Most of it I already had from bikes I bought for other parts and saved the other parts for a rainy day. Hard to say what I have in all this junk I collected in my Klunker box (probably hundreds?).

I'm in. I'll use that Husky HD105 frame I bought here. I'll have to build it at the last minute cuz it doesn't get warm here until April. But I'm in. Great idea Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yummy. Been getting sexy care packages from Nova Cycles and Paragon Machine on my end... lots of 4130 goodness and welding lessons coming from Uncle Ronnie. He's excited enough he bought a new welding table... either that or he just didn't want to dig out the junk on top of his exist set-up table :)

I'm in. I'll use that Husky HD105 frame I bought here. I'll have to build it at the last minute cuz it doesn't get warm here until April. But I'm in. Great idea Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got you thoroughly beat; I got a Husky HD120 frame from Chuck.... so my frame has much beefier decals than yours does. :crazy:

I found an old, I'm guessing 90's, Huffy Y framed hardtail 24" MTB. It's probably a walmarf... Kinda cool antifreeze yellow color, almost spectraflame. It's just hangin' in my rafters waitin' for the build off. Crusty, but I think it'll be a cool hillclimber... not a traditional bike hillclimber but something patterned after a motocycle hill climber!

Carl.

Time ticks slowly past, by this time next year we will be heading into the final 3 weeks of building...

What will we see when that finish line arrives?

-Will someone finally build that DX or straight-bar Schwinn that has been haunting their dreams for decades?
-Will someone step up and build an early Breezer replica from the very lightest titanium?
-Will someone drag out that 24" BMX cruiser they raced when they were younger and treat it to fresh powder and a set of new Tuff's, maybe some fat 2.5" Hookworms?
-Will we see someone buy a brand new 27.5" carbon dual suspension MTB frame and set it up with the best gear money can buy?
-Will we see a full suspension fat bike built from scratch?
-Will we see frames from half a century ago modified to accept the very latest in hydraulic disc brake technology?

One thing we can be sure of is seeing some of the best bikes that are meant to be ridden, abused, jumped, skidded and broken...

No doubt we will see parts like Renthal bars, brake levers from motor bikes, bar and frame pads, and of course some of the knobbiest tires seen this side of a Super Swamper...

The time is coming...

Will you be ready?

Luke.

started renovating my workshop room , should have plenty of space for a new project if iam finished by then

I know im new here, but I would be interested....already have a frame and a concept.....
Well you can wait till next :eek: January, or build it now o_O.... or enter in the big Build Off Ten which starts ;) May 1st...

Carl.

Well you can wait till next :eek: January, or build it now o_O.... or enter in the big Build Off Ten which starts ;) May 1st...

Carl.
GuitarCarl, I actually found this site by shopping for parts for a cruiser build/upgrade. Reading through the forums here has been really cool. I like how everybody has different tastes but shares the one love for cycling! I grew up on a BMX, lived next to a huge dirt field and even raced for awhile. I have a 95 Dyno coaster and a 97 Dyno Roadster. I am building the Coaster and will keep the roadster original as it has all its original parts. I have a pile of parts ready, and as hard as it is...I will wait till may 1st to start!! I did take the coaster down to the frame, and I have to say, taking the one piece cranks out...taking the forks off,...sure did bring back memories from 30yrs ago!! Its really neat! I even ended up getting my girl excited about it and picked up a brand new Schwinn cruiser for her at a yardsale yesterday for $50 ! So yup, look for me on May 1st as well ! :p

GuitarCarl, I actually found this site by shopping for parts for a cruiser build/upgrade. Reading through the forums here has been really cool. I like how everybody has different tastes but shares the one love for cycling! I grew up on a BMX, lived next to a huge dirt field and even raced for awhile. I have a 95 Dyno coaster and a 97 Dyno Roadster. I am building the Coaster and will keep the roadster original as it has all its original parts. I have a pile of parts ready, and as hard as it is...I will wait till may 1st to start!! I did take the coaster down to the frame, and I have to say, taking the one piece cranks out...taking the forks off,...sure did bring back memories from 30yrs ago!! Its really neat! I even ended up getting my girl excited about it and picked up a brand new Schwinn cruiser for her at a yardsale yesterday for $50 ! So yup, look for me on May 1st as well ! :p
Dude that's so cool. I found this site looking for info on a 1936 Hawthorne cruiser I picked at a yard sale for 20 bucks. I jumped into the first build off that came up (MBBO2) and I've jumped into all of them since. You'll like this place, I do.

Carl.

I see some members have already begun Klunker projects outside of this build-off, that is cool providing you don't intend to enter them in the build-off.

Lets keep this thread only for Klunker Build-Off discussion so it does not get confusing for new members.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back