JC Higgins help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what year this bike is? Any help would be great, thanks. Serial # 50346420

bikes001_zps63f9e65b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the imported "made in Austria" model from the late 50's to early 60's.
Thats what I'm thinking as well, definitely Austria. I'm guessing 1962, but thats just a guess.

Nice bike! The headtube, chain guard and cottered cranks give it away as an Austrian built Sears bike. It's the first cruiser style frame I've seen, most are diamond frames. It's a Sears bike, in 1963 they changed to the Sears name from J C Higgins, so it's before then. I had a Sears Austrian bike that had a 2 digit stamp, "63" on the hub shell, almost like a Sturmey Archer hub. It was right rear the word "SPEED" on the shell. Yours may have that on it. Your bike looks like it was in a time capsule, almost like new.

Nice bike! The headtube, chain guard and cottered cranks give it away as an Austrian built Sears bike. It's the first cruiser style frame I've seen, most are diamond frames. It's a Sears bike, in 1963 they changed to the Sears name from J C Higgins, so it's before then. I had a Sears Austrian bike that had a 2 digit stamp, "63" on the hub shell, almost like a Sturmey Archer hub. It was right rear the word "SPEED" on the shell. Yours may have that on it. Your bike looks like it was in a time capsule, almost like new.
There are some numbers on the hub, they are 50320. Nothing near the word speed. Also, it is a JC Higgins hub. It says it on there anyway. Thanks

503 is a Sears manufacturer code, Murray built bikes are 502. 4642 or 46420 is the Sears catalog #. The earliest I've seen this style is in the 61 catalog, though I couldn't find your exact number. The Euro bike co's were looking to get into the American middleweight market. -Adam

503 is a Sears manufacturer code, Murray built bikes are 502. 4642 or 46420 is the Sears catalog #. The earliest I've seen this style is in the 61 catalog, though I couldn't find your exact number. The Euro bike co's were looking to get into the American middleweight market. -Adam
Hi, thank you. There is another number right next to the number I posted. 1518504. do you think this means anything?

Hi, thank you. There is another number right next to the number I posted. 1518504. do you think this means anything?
So, do you think it might be newer than 61?

Here is my 1956 German made Higgins Rat.

ratbike36-8-14_zps1a9a45e0.jpg

I believe these bikes were imported by Sears as a stop gap because AMF and Murray had labor problems and ended up re locating factories causing bike shortages.

I have spent a few hours trying to ID the year of my JC Higgins. Mod # 502 46752, Serial # 834926. Has JCH plate on front of gooseneck and on the chain guard. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Keep Calm and Ride On :)

Last edited:
I have spent a few hours trying to ID the year of my JC Higgins. Mod # 502 46752, Serial # 834926. Has JCH plate on front of gooseneck and on the chain guard. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Heya there, Angee!
I wanted to let you know that if you make your own thread in this forum "Bike ID and Valuation", you should have a much more prompt and accurate response as apposed to tagging on the end of this persons post., which was very polite but a little hidden. Please feel free to start a post of your own under the forum and Im sure you'll have some hits in a day or two. Higgins get noticed here ;)

502=SEARS could be JC Higgins or Murray built '58-'62. Probably more in to the 60's given the 890456 serial #. I have a 502 Sears bike ser# 198516. It's hard to decode which one made it for Sears. I gave up trying to figure that out. Pick one and stick with it.

Heya there, Angee!
I wanted to let you know that if you make your own thread in this forum "Bike ID and Valuation", you should have a much more prompt and accurate response as apposed to tagging on the end of this persons post., which was very polite but a little hidden. Please feel free to start a post of your own under the forum and Im sure you'll have some hits in a day or two. Higgins get noticed here ;)

Thanks Flying Zombie! I'm new here and appreciate the advice. Actually, I've never been a part of any forum before, so bare with me while I figure out how to post things and start threads.

502=SEARS could be JC Higgins or Murray built '58-'62. Probably more in to the 60's given the 890456 serial #. I have a 502 Sears bike ser# 198516. It's hard to decode which one made it for Sears. I gave up trying to figure that out. Pick one and stick with it.

Thanks Roadwarrior!! I just might take that advice :)

Thanks Flying Zombie! I'm new here and appreciate the advice. Actually, I've never been a part of any forum before, so bare with me while I figure out how to post things and start threads.
100% welcome., Before being a part of this forum starting mid last October, I joined a page and became very easily disinterested, either by the content I expected to find being dissolved in peoples drama or otherwise just not getting the edge out of it I was seeking. This page grows and grows with whats already an Abundant source of VERY much information about so many bikes I cant keep track.

The longer Im here, the more I surprise myself with how much Im learning from all the people here. Its a helpful and fun place to be involved., here before too long Id like to even be in my first Build Off! I sure hope you decide to stick around, its been a little dead the past few weeks, but you can rest assured as it warms up and more folks have the ability to bike safely and comfortably, you'll be seeing a Major increase of posting and people.

FZ

Latest posts

Back