Derby 1939

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first saw your bicycle I thought you were crazy to re-do it. I LOVED how it looked when you got it. I must say, it looks BeAUtifUl now! Nice job. Makes me itch for an Elgin.
Kris

Last edited:
You have got to help me figure something out. I just bought an identical bike, same fenders, frame, tank, pedals, chain wheel not even 2 hours ago. I was told it was an Elgin. Was I misled? The guy told me the rims were 1939 Shelby rims because the original "Elgin" rims were too far gone. What do you guys think? I darn sure paid for an Elgin but I am beginning to think I didn't buy one.

- by Gigmata

You were not misled. I know there were at least 2 other manufactures that badged these. In addition, Im sure there were 10-20 other badges by hardware stores and other retailers. I am looking at an Elgin in my area right now that is identical. Well, not as near good-lookin but same components. There are 2 advertised on Craigslist/Inland Empire (Ca) if you wanna check em out...
Kris

Below statement is from Bicycle808 from before & after forum. The point is, it seems difficult to pin down the exact origin of theses bikes.

Yeah, the Derby bicycles I've seen (not the German ones, but the US ones) were Murray-built, like the Mercury (top-line Murray) and many Elgins (many Elgins were built by Murray, but many others were made by Westfield, aka Columbia.)

Below statement is from Bicycle808 from before & after forum. The point is, it seems difficult to pin down the exact origin of theses bikes.

Yeah, the Derby bicycles I've seen (not the German ones, but the US ones) were Murray-built, like the Mercury (top-line Murray) and many Elgins (many Elgins were built by Murray, but many others were made by Westfield, aka Columbia.)
Thank you. It is a gift for my friend's dad and I would like to tell him what it is in the event he wants me to restore it instead of keeping the patina. I will need to know which parts to buy.

- Gig

- by Gigmata

You were not misled. I know there were at least 2 other manufactures that badged these. In addition, Im sure there were 10-20 other badges by hardware stores and other retailers. I am looking at an Elgin in my area right now that is identical. Well, not as near good-lookin but same components. There are 2 advertised on Craigslist/Inland Empire (Ca) if you wanna check em out...
Kris
Thank you, Kris. I normally deal in Felt cruisers and stepped far out of my comfort zone on the Elgin. If I can make it look half as good as this it would be amazing.

- by Gigmata

Thank you. It is a gift for my friend's dad and I would like to tell him what it is in the event he wants me to restore it instead of keeping the patina. I will need to know which parts to buy.

- Gig

- by Gigmata
Have you posted photos & serial #s on the Bike ID valuation forum? There are some real wizards on here that will give you the real scoop.
You will get the make and year with correct parts comments.

Latest posts

Back