Drill extra holes in a hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So far I tried a bostitch titanium core bit in my drill press. After 15 minutes, all it got through was the paint. What do I need in order to turn a 20-hole hub into a 40-hole?

Ordering them might be the easy way. Be careful to only get US or western Euro made bits, makes a big difference.

40 hole hub? Good question, it just was not the question that was asked.

It is a hub from a green machine, direct drive w/freewheel. I want to build a mini highwheel for my girlfriend. I was actually unsure of how to lace it as well, since the 26" spokes would be the wrong length for this combo. So far I have straight-laced it using 20 spokes from a 24" wheel. Came out nice, but would look nicer with 40 spokes, and be stronger.

normal caliper brake on rear wheel. The sad thing is that I had a mini highwheel before with 27" front wheel, 12" rear. The front hub got trashed just by normal riding. I tried making it a fixed-hub, but no luck. So I eventually scrapped the frame/fork. Proving again why I should never throw anything out. So now using the bearing carriers from the green machine, I will have to build a new fork, and bend a frame myself. I have a tubing bender, but it was basically half of the kit ($10 at flea market). Has the main mech and dies, so I'm building a stand, adapting a solid shaft from an old furnace fan, and found a wheel at the salvage large enough to use to turn the center die. Having 20 spokes makes the wheel look more basic. Not sure about strength though, but it's a stout rim. Might try it as-is.

I do plan on going with an old wheel off the back of a tricycle, to increase the size difference between the front and rear and avoid any ride quality whatsoever. Probably going to try a narrower caliper off of a racer to stop the trike wheel. As long as the brake isn't in the front she should be able to stay in the seat.

Curious now...post pics. I have an old junior Wheelman frame that's missing the front wheel, pedals, and bearing holders. Slight bending in the fork blades, too. Figured I'd find a uni donor bike with lollipops someday and rebuild it, but I'd love to score a freewheel hub like yours.

Waiting on a camera I ordered. Mine fell off the table damaging the lense and A/V port. Green machines have been released with several different hubs. Some had 20 spokes, some 32, 36, and 52 I think. The mini hiwheel I had was a Columbia I think. It had the freewheel, and I was going to go with a uni hub as well, but this green machine fell in my lap at a great price.

Here's where I'm at so far. Couldn't get to fastenal though. Woke up to a friend barely limping his 93 BMW into my driveway, and had to get up and fix it for him.
IMG_0013_zps4359457b.jpg

Cutting oil helps keep the bits sharp and working when going thru the hard stuff. I use an old can of IBM heavy machine oil from the 50s that I picked up a few years back. Works great for drill and milling bits. Even motor oil can help, but burns off quickly.

Latest posts

Back