Silver King Hex Tube build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I found a SK hex head (incomplete) in a barn but the owner wouldn't sell it. I would imagine that it's probably still there. Your build makes me want to make the hour and a half trip back to see if it's still there and see if he's ready to sell...

Thanks guys for the great comments.
I'm planning on painting the accents on the stem, just haven't got to it yet.
I just picked up acorn nuts for the axles.
dscn0487.jpg

dscn0488.jpg

More changes to the hex tube. I picked up a Monark spring off a girls bike from a member. I had to lengthen the threads on the steer tube and the studs for the springs, since the head tube on a girls bike is about an inch longer than on a boys bike. Just finished cutting the steer tube and studs for the springs shorter to work on the hex tube. Glass beaded the forks which were originally blue and repainted silver.
dscn0489_1.jpg

dscn0490.jpg

dscn0491.jpg

dscn0493_1.jpg

I picked up an aluminum sprocket.
dscn0495_1.jpg

I picked up a set of double drop center rims to better go with the age of the bike.

This is what the forks looked like when I bought them from Nate.
03496e0d264b15d1a686899e3fe23b3e.jpg

3ce8479aacf38ff37f769db83eccac38.jpg

Thanks Luke.

I believe it's almost finished. Still need to cut chain, and grease rear hub.
Installed double drop center rims, aluminum sprocket, and a pair of Carlisle Lightning Dart tires to complete the vintage look. I changed the skip tooth sprocket to a standard sprocket so I could keep the Morrow hub on the bike.
Kenny
dscn0503.jpg

dscn0504.jpg

dscn0505.jpg

Thanks for the great comments. This old bike is definitely going to be a keeper.
Kenny

Just had fun checking out you Hex again. Any new updates? Do you still have it? I'm going to use your pics to properly paint my headbadge and headtube accents.

Latest posts

Back