Checker Pig?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A CPX 3040 has popped up for sale locally, and it looks interesting. But I'm unable to find very much info online about them, at least in English. Best I can tell they seem to be quality bikes, but I'm not sure they have much collectors value.

I don't know much, and probably a little less than you do. :crazy: Checker Pigs were a German brand; decals say "designed and assembled in Germany", so frame is probably from the Far East. Most every CPX i've seen has the classic 90s-era NORBA-style geometry, which i gotta sheepishly admit, is the geo i'm must comfortable on off-road. The company didn't exist until 1989 or '90, so collector value isn't all that....Although, i predict that 90s mtbs will blow up in a big way about 5 years from now.... especially stuff like Fat Chance, Rock Lobster, US-made Salsa.... basically, the last of the competitive US-made production MTBs. But, like you said, the CPX was a quality bike, and "Checker Pig" is about the coolest name I've heard for a mtb... could end up being worth some coin.

If I were you, I'd buy it to ride if it fits you, b/c it's a cool bike. If you're trying to make $$$ on a flip, or even a long-term prospect, well.... there's probably safer bets out there.

I don't know much, and probably a little less than you do. :crazy: Checker Pigs were a German brand; decals say "designed and assembled in Germany", so frame is probably from the Far East. Most every CPX i've seen has the classic 90s-era NORBA-style geometry, which i gotta sheepishly admit, is the geo i'm must comfortable on off-road. The company didn't exist until 1989 or '90, so collector value isn't all that....Although, i predict that 90s mtbs will blow up in a big way about 5 years from now.... especially stuff like Fat Chance, Rock Lobster, US-made Salsa.... basically, the last of the competitive US-made production MTBs. But, like you said, the CPX was a quality bike, and "Checker Pig" is about the coolest name I've heard for a mtb... could end up being worth some coin.

If I were you, I'd buy it to ride if it fits you, b/c it's a cool bike. If you're trying to make $$$ on a flip, or even a long-term prospect, well.... there's probably safer bets out there.
They started out as a snowboard company in the late '80's early 90's. Then they got into bikes.

Pretty sure they were all made in Asia somewhere.

They are still making bikes - no longer snowboards.

Thanks for the info guys. I first got interested in MTB's in the 90's, so that era has a lot of nostalgia for me. I may hold off on this one, though and see if something different comes along.

Latest posts

Back