remove hadle bar grips with ease

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
using a thin long flat head screw driver insert between the grip & bar as a wedge then apply motor oil wiggle the screw driver out and insert to the other side of grip apply more oil , remove screw driver and twist the grip , works on the most stubbern grips and saves the classic grips for reuse

Good idea.
I always use compressed air. I have a small pointed nozzle that I stick inside the edge of the large opening of the grip and then blast the air and twist. This works just the same in reverse when I put grips on the bars.

Good idea.
I always use compressed air. I have a small pointed nozzle that I stick inside the edge of the large opening of the grip and then blast the air and twist. This works just the same in reverse when I put grips on the bars.
Yeah, that's what we did at the shop....and what I'd do at home, if'n I had an air compressor.

I use dish soap to get'm on and off quick'n'easy.

Same wedge in an appropriate probe , stick in the long nozzle of WD-40 and spray a bit; remove both, give a twist and they usually pop and slide off. If not just probe and spray 180deg. from the first.

Those will all work, but I don't make any mess and it only takes a couple seconds with my method. They pop right off undamaged.
Either a 7/8" open end wrench or adjustable wrench will work. Placed snugly against the end of the grip, then tap the wrench with a hammer to pop the grip off. The chrome may get scratched, but will be covered up by the new grip.

I use a flat head screw driver but I just spray water inside the grip as I work the screw driver around. They slide right off without the nasty petroleum products. No clean up, nothing scratched, and can be re-installed right away.

Spoke and water most often on rubber grips and the wrench way on hard plastic grips.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tumblr_m7lm8hvsTh1rbk41wo1_400.jpg

the kids taught me this one... spray it on the outside and it makes enough condensation to slip em off

lube em up with it and in 5 minutes they are glued on tight.. ;)

try the canned compressed air used fo blowin out dust fro electonics ,the have a straw tha would sli under th grip the twirst & remove grips
never tried it as it cot more tha a aquirt bottle filled with water &lifting up th edge of the grilp with a tiny screwdriver!

tumblr_m7lm8hvsTh1rbk41wo1_400.jpg

the kids taught me this one... spray it on the outside and it makes enough condensation to slip em off

lube em up with it and in 5 minutes they are glued on tight.. ;)
Good idea for gluing them on! I'll file this one for future use!

I use a a wooden skewer to lift the grip away from the bar then pour in a bit of rubbing alcohol. Give the grip a few twists and off they come. Use a little alcohol to slip them back on. The alcohol will dry fairly quickly getting you back on your ride in no time. I've used this trick on bicycles and motorcycles for years and it has never let me down. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I just dip them in hot water, or pry the grip up a bit and let hot water from the tap run in. If they are REALLY stuck, dip in boiling water. Hasn't failed me yet. I've only had to use boiling water once. It was a 39 Schwinn with the grips seriously cooked on. Hot water from the tap almost always does it. Rarely have to pry the grip up, the longer you leave it in the stream of water, the easier it comes off. Run water on it, try twisting the grip, eventually it breaks loose a bit and the water works its way down and they slide right off.

Latest posts

Back