1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Nick, it's REALLY close to the original color that was preserved on the fork steering tube. It's Toyota Barcelona Red, the white will be good old Ford Oxford White. I just realized that I REALLY need to clean my shop! :D

Picked up my parts from plater today.
These are the tank accent bits and a Colorflow rear reflector.
2e8abe95c4f7cf4f703225d29c8c8896.jpg

They cost me a little more than I 'envisioned', but considering these are 60 year old parts and not something I can go into my LBS and grab off the shelf, ya know?
d098d85bef2ffb60d6ab7db20ae51294.jpg

I'm really pleased with the thickness of the plating,now I need to drill a hole in my (freshly painted) fender and get off my butt and finish creating the tank graphics.

Either way, it has to wait a week while I'm in Disney/Universal with the fam.

Cheers all,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sometimes you have to spend a little on something that will be special,white,cream for the panels/details and the metalflake red for the frame/fork do it justice for the importance of this build and to give it some subtle bling without it being over the top custom,i can visualize it in my head,flake with cream/white gives it a nice 50/50 of retro/wild

Last edited:
sometimes you have to spend a little on something that will be special,white,cream for the panels/details and the metalflake red for the frame/fork do it justice for the importance of this build and to give it some subtle bling without it being over the top custom,i can visualize it in my head,flake with cream/white gives it a nice 50/50 of retro/wild
Could not have said it better myself.
I'll have to remember that whole "sometimes you have to spend a little on something that will be special" part if the Mrs. asks.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembly has begun, going together nicely, slowly but slowly. Just my style.... :)
8f57bf5fef8ce3dc2209bea69f27e9e7.jpg

65c090beacc4d9efdb4a3299d7d223f5.jpg

Added a rechromed Colorflow rear reflector.
acbc9f3158dab2110c282b3499b4e939.jpg

That's it for now, stay tuned.....
Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr T,
The bike is looking gorgeous. I'm currently working on a gathering all the parts for one Colorflow build & doing a rat build with another Colorflow frame myself, so it is inspiring to see it coming along so well. I'm jealous of the beautiful re-chromed parts especially.

Me too! I still have to start the tank and chainguard restores. They will start soon, as soon as 'life' permits.....
I did 'restore' an era-correct JCH speedo. The body on it is red too, which is an extra 'cool' bonus. The seat is restore is 'complete', I just need to assemble it.
Stay tuned....

Me too! I still have to start the tank and chainguard restores. They will start soon, as soon as 'life' permits.....
I did 'restore' an era-correct JCH speedo. The body on it is red too, which is an extra 'cool' bonus. The seat is restore is 'complete', I just need to assemble it.
Stay tuned....

Man oh Man, when I came across this and saw the condition you got that bird in, I About lost it! Its incredible. Its really complete, like you say, and Im sure when all polished up and rolling, she rides like a dream!
I bet the Speedo is gonna look somethin neat on this rig. Keep up the fine work!

-Jordan

She's a rider!
FINALLY got the fender clearances worked out around the bigger tires. Added the Thompson coke bottles,a Delta tail light I got from CeeBee over a year ago and a vintage red JC Higgins speedo. 'Restored' the seat (got a little more work to do on it). All that's left is the headlight, the tank and chainguard. Got the graphics file ready to go, just have to find time to take it to the sign guy.
In any case, here she is right now.
0858e90a7857fd9713dcb3792ae03102.jpg

Some details
eb22a553ab31f5e57b0bb7e72f2ebcc1.jpg

987ad0396b29d363a47d6867fca5191b.jpg

Stay tuned...
Cheers,
Dr. T

SEXY!!!!!

Thanks guys, this one has been a slow go (like most of my builds I guess :) ). I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was fortunate to start with a complete bike.
With my current work schedule I don't expect to anything to it for about a month or so..... :(

Latest posts

Back