Spaceliner Red Line 2 speed rear end

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see what your guys opinions are on a value of a Sears 2 speed rear end. It's for a Spaceliner. 26". Very nice shape, just don't know what to offer the guy

It is a complete wheel. Really nice chrome. Just don't know what it's worth

Hold the wheel by the axles and rotate the gear forward, turning the wheel. Shift it backwards and rotate again to determine if it is shifting. In low gear, the gear should be rotating faster than the rim when you turn it. If so, you have approx. $100 worth of hub and rim. Unless it's been rebuilt lately, it will probably need a rebuild with new grease regardless.
If it doesn't shift, there is still a chance it is good. It might just need new grease. I'd say $50 tops if it doesn't shift. Gary

Bendix Automatic. 2 speed kickback. I like them a lot, use them on most of my builds . I take mine to a LBS and he will teardown, clean, grease, and reassemble the hub for about $35, worth it to me, if there is then a problem, take it back and he fixes it. I did one myself, it worked briefly then quit shifting. I like supporting the LBS.

The Bendix 2 speed automatics have 3 stripes on the hub shell, either red, yellow, or blue. The 2 speed Bendix that uses a shifter has no stripes. A single red stripe is a one speed hub.

Also, a Bendix hub with no stripes but with "Bendix 76" on the brake arm is a later model single speed.

Latest posts

Back