Allow myself to introduce.... Myself.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!

I'm Mike. As the name suggests, I am a bike cop. It's pretty much the best possible job: I get paid to ride a bike and carry a gun. I'm also a certified instructor with the International Police Mountain Bike Association.

I've been building bikes for about twenty years, first from the antique cruisers my mom had from the 70's, then from hand-me-downs from the 80's from my cousins, and finally from whatever I found/bought which seemed cool. I primarily ride mountain bikes, but I just recently built my first road bike for a 100-mile "century" ride, been having fun with that. I'm currently looking at re-building my favorite cruiser for the fourth or fifth time.

Hoping to find a lot of inspiration on this page and I'll be happy to share whatever I know!

Yes... Share some good bike cop stories... What do you do if you have to chase someone on foot? As far as your gear & bike. Can you post a picture of your police bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes, everyone! I will share some pics as soon as i get a chance to grab a few.

Bike cop stories... I may have a few. or 1 of my favorite funny stories, I was attending the instructor course in washington dc . I was there with bike officers from around the country, so we all had different uniforms. Mine is Navy blue with a yellow top . We took a break for dinner, and split up into smaller groups. I want up in a group with an EMS cyclist wearing a red top, an officer from Virginia wearing a bright blue top, a sheriff's deputy from Tennessee wearing a green top, and a swat cyclist wearing all black. While we were in the restaurant, hey group of young children who were obviously there for a field trip, approached us and asked who we were. I told them that we were the Power Rangers. One of the parents pulled me aside and said, " doesn't that make you an Asian female in this equation?" I told him that I was deep undercover.

As for the question about what we would do with our fight and gear in the event of a foot chase, we dropped the bike and take off. Apprehendinga suspect is far more important than the possible loss of the bike. I don't personally know of anyone who has had their police bike stolen in the course of a pursuit. I'm sure that it has happened somewhere, but not to my knowledge. Most of us carry an extra pair of handcuffs so that we can quickly secure the bike to something. It's not often that we have to ditch the bikes in order to pursue someone on foot. It is precisely the added speed and maneuverability of the bike which makes us so useful and versatile.

Hmmmm.. Can't edit posts on here, eh? I apologize for a few of the nonsensical words; i tried dictating to a new tablet that i just got and it doesnt seem to be as good as my Apple products.

Another good bike story, which unfortunately is not mine, happened to a couple of guys with whom I trained. In their department, their SWAT unit rides bikes when they are not being called out for SWAT duties. They were trying to figure out how to approach a drug house in a crowded neighborhood. The dealers had lookouts posted on all of the nearby street corners. It would have been impossible for any marked units or obvious police vehicles to approach the house without alerting the occupants. The SWAT units got the idea to change into plain clothes, ride their bikes around the neighborhood, and coordinate the approach from their bikes. Four guys rode around the neighborhood for a little while, so as not to make direct approach, rode their bikes into the neighbor's yard, assembled rifles from backpacks they were wearing, and successfully apprehended all of the suspects without alerting anyone that they were approaching. Not a single shot was fired, and none of the bad guys got away.

Here's the work bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 162
A bike cop huh?? Well hey if Keanu reeves could surf on point break I don't see the difference lol ;) rock a prewar I'd get arrested just so we could talk bikes :) be safe out there

Latest posts

Back