Dual independent springer concept. Am I Gonna Die?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm a newbie here and have a bike in the MMBO. I got this fork in a trade and have an idea for springing it. I've never seen a set up like this. I strongly feel that there may be a reason behind that, and have a few questions and concerns. I mocked up my idea and am interested in feed back. Here's the mock up.
dcEN4WQ.jpg

1st off, before any one beats me to it, I'm aware that I will need to reverse the clamps because as they sit they will interfere with the tire and spokes. :rofl:
clear.png
One thing I have a question about is rebound with these springs. I've never pulled one of these apart and wonder if it will blow up on rebound.
RdXFlLD.jpg

I found two identical LJ400A spring assemblies. The second concern is that being independent will they spring differently and cause the wheel to lean one side or the other on impact. These springs are 750lbs per inch and I can hardly compress one sitting on the floor and leaning into it. I found some lighter springs but wonder if after all the work I may just wind up with a sprung rigid fork. :grin:
Those tabs came off of 1 1/8" tubes, the fork is 1 1/8" also so I think with good welding those should be solid enough for the top mount.
FW61vYL.jpg

The lightest spring I could find is the 450lb one. Are there lighter springs available?
Any input is appreciated. I'm not an askhole so I will consider all input as valuable. Thanks for taking a look!

If your rocker plate is really stiff and the pivot points have very close tolerance it could work. If they flex you could bend or break the axle. Heck, even if they don't. I've seen more than one old motor chopper with functionally similar suspension at one wheel or the other.

You won't die from the fork failing, most likely, but you may die from over-exerting yourself whilst dealing with all that bob'n'bounce. :rockout::crazy::rockout:

lol, 808. Yea, I'm not too concerned about dying. If I was, I suppose I could wear my helmet. But I can't lick the windows with it on... :blackeye:

If your rocker plate is really stiff and the pivot points have very close tolerance it could work. If they flex you could bend or break the axle. Heck, even if they don't. I've seen more than one old motor chopper with functionally similar suspension at one wheel or the other.
Hmmm, you're right! Like the Amen Savior frames?
2ymdmc9.jpg

I plan on using thick plate, welding them together for drilling and making the holes tight, maybe even bushing them.

Last edited:
maybe something like this as used on the IMZ-Urial Russian motorcycle ?

This looks similar, minus the hoop in back. I'm liking the disc break set up on this one!
I've decided to abandon the idea of using the shocks I have now. After talking to a very experienced bike mechanic, he agreed and confirmed that these assemblies would most likely be too stiff with questionable rebound. He suggested air shocks because I could then control compression and rebound. Thanks for all the input so far!
clear.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back