Just want some opinions Suspension or sacriledge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is chopping my old Schwinn in half and updating it considered sacriledge or is it cool?

• Don't chop it! It's sacriledge!

• YES!!! Chop away and keep us posted!

• Whatever floats your boat.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I actually have been thinking a lot about that, I'm split between 4 ideas.

1. Bend them upward forming a kind of "devil's tail sissy bar / back rest" even if it is strictly ornamental.

2. Chop them off and add a BMX style grab handle

3. Chop them off and plug the ends with red LED lights for taillights

4. Extend them straight into a rear rack

Those are all really good ideas.... the rack would have an x-53 feel to it, bt I think a sissy bar would be the most impressive, in terms of the visual impact...

The sissy bar is kinda what I'm leaning toward but the grab handle would be more functional for trail riding and wouldn't limit suspension travel like a rack would. However I think with it tail slammed it would have a sick chopper stance especially with a fat tire in the rear and a skinny front and in that case the sissy bar would be a perfect crowning touch. If I get some halfway decent weather this weekend I might try to do some mocking up to see how it will look and go from there.

Cutting it and modifying it isn't sacrilege. Attaching it to a Walmart Genesis however....
Seriously, go for it and have fun! :cool2:

Cutting it and modifying it isn't sacrilege. Attaching it to a Walmart Genesis however....
Seriously, go for it and have fun! :cool2:

You're talking to someone who drives a sticker bombed Mercury Cougar... daily. I never worry about IF I offend someone, I worry about if I have offended a large enough group of people and have I offended them enough?

Someone a while ago posted a full suspension vintage cruiser that looked nice.

How do you satisfy everyone? Find a canti frame with a badly mashed and unfixable rear triangle, and cut away my friend! I don't think many would be
contra to that....

How do you satisfy everyone? Find a canti frame with a badly mashed and unfixable rear triangle, and cut away my friend! I don't think many would be
contra to that....
Only thing I need to satisfy is my own urge to do something creative. I'll be starting my class in December so I have plenty of time to plan things before diving in.

I got the rear end off the donor bike and I cut the mounts off of it and put it all back together so nothing gets lost. The mounts are aluminum so they will need to be replicated in steel so I can weld them on the old '57 Schwinn but it doesn't look too difficult and is getting me excited for the build.

Just wanting some opinions before I commit an unspeakable act against all the Schwinn purists out there. What I am thinking of doing involves my "Krunk Junk" build I did for the BONINE build off:

And what I want to do is transplant the modern rear end from my Genesis V2100 parts bike to the vintage frame, giving me rear brakes, gears, suspension, adjustable ride height, and a cool look.

Anyone care to do some photoshop work it would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly I think this would be really cool to see if pulled off correctly! I say go for it! (You can always get another bike too haha)

Just a quick mock up to see what it would look like. I like where this is going. Still trying to wrap my head around the small details but the big picture should be clear here. Also I should have around 6 inches of rear suspension adjustability which is awesome! I'll be making some different length solid rods to go in place of the shock and will also have the shock for trail riding. Also since this rear end has brake mounts I'll finally have rear brakes and I will more than likely be adding a derailleur and at least 5 functional gears so the general safety of the bike is going up as well as adding speed and looks. another cool tidbit is this rear end is aluminum so it is really light so it will probably retain it's stock weight if not loose a few pounds.

Just a quick mock up to see what it would look like. I like where this is going. Still trying to wrap my head around the small details but the big picture should be clear here. Also I should have around 6 inches of rear suspension adjustability which is awesome! I'll be making some different length solid rods to go in place of the shock and will also have the shock for trail riding. Also since this rear end has brake mounts I'll finally have rear brakes and I will more than likely be adding a derailleur and at least 5 functional gears so the general safety of the bike is going up as well as adding speed and looks. another cool tidbit is this rear end is aluminum so it is really light so it will probably retain it's stock weight if not loose a few pounds.

I think this is really cool, unique. Cant wait to see finished!

I did something very similar on HeadBanger, just the reverse, old rear new front... but like yours, the tabs that the pivot mounted to were aluminum, so I just made some tabs out of steel, it was easy. As long as you have the correct size hole drilled thru to mount the pivot it should work well. I do like your suspension system better, I used a simpler single monoshock. As far as the canti / seat stay tubes, I'd fab a loop and weld it in, curving one around back into the other, could even curve it up too. It'd be kind of a "looptail" look, nice place for a tail light mount...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back