Finding stuff while riding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P1060106.JPG

P1050726.JPG

Not really while riding, but I work on the roads and we find all sorts, I've had a car dashboard, 1000s of wheel trims a few phones (all returned by calling 'home' or 'mum' , gotta balance karma) a few tools and a trailer... But it's work and possibly cheating :)

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

As a kid I found a TON of stuff, especially on trash day. Once, I found a box of old Hotwheels blackwalls (cars built between 1977 - 1995, they came right after the Redline era). A Playstation that worked for a few years after I dug it out, a washer and dryer for my dad (divorced, mom got the washer and dryer). A file cabinet (for dad), my first classic bikes, a '63 Columbia and a '65 Spaceliner, a Power Wheels Lamborghini Countach in Hot Wheels attire (my childhood "girlfriend" tossed it and I fixed it! :p

Then, I picked up this up-right fan this home? Instead of having dad come by with the car, I tied the cord to the rear of my frame and dragged it home. I still have it and use it, the back of the motor casing still has severe road rash to this day! I can only imagine what drivers in the neighborhood thought when they saw me!

I found this old ('48-'59) REO model 552A 1 1/2 Hp motor (door stop) out in the curb last night just a block from my house.
It turns freely and is mostly complete.

I went back to the house today to see if any other parts like shroud were still available and was told by the lil ol lady she's been throwing out a bunch of motors recently and will have to check with her kids as to what's available. She said she'll leave the parts beside the house before curbing them and I left my contact info.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that there may be some other goodies left to be saved.
What it was and could be again hopefully.

A few more recent ride finds...
toysoctober14014_zps77f7692e.jpg

Dan Ackroyds Crystal Skull Vodka bottle (banned here in Ontario:21:)minty grips from neighbors rusty lawn trimmer and the old gun (shifter?) found with the toys.
CurbFindsREO001_zps27fb9798.jpg

Do I need a tripod or a shifter handle????Hmmmm:39:
CurbFindsREO005_zpsb0330c1f.jpg

and my new 100 lb. tool box that I doubled back for and pulled home on my little red wagon.
It was prepped and painted a flat grey with Duplicolor red metalflake drawers and top which were the paints I had on hand.

Last edited:
i found a red kids kick sscooter , i repaces the headset bearring , grip tape ,hans grips & added bolt to the handle bar clamp & th folding mechanisim
it rides nice for a kids scooter

Hey... I've got a desk drawer section/ tool box just like that one. I use mine for a tool box too. Thing's as heavy as a house....:21:

I don't know if this counts I found a baseball rebounder on the side of the road when I went to get gas for my old Pontiac. Threw in the trunk took it home. But it's been way to cold to go bike riding but cold isn't the problem it's the ice on the road from people running their sump pumps,

Hey... I've got a desk drawer section/ tool box just like that one. I use mine for a tool box too. Thing's as heavy as a house....:21:

Yeah, that's why I dragged it over to the garage/workspace I rent instead of ever carrying in and out of the house.:showingbiceps:

Here's a curb find I picked up a couple of days ago.
It's pretty mint and has the original lab book too.
I'm going to post it on Craigslist and turn it into bike parts.

Here's a link to the blog of a guy in Montreal who has been literally garbage picking in Montreal for a few years. It really is interesting what he has found is his hunts.:13:
He sells his finds on Etsy and Ebay.

http://garbagefinds.com/

Out for a ride today an looks like someone cleaned out the box of their truck along a country road! :eek:
old windowAC, a canvas toolbag, clothes iron...
then I saw a set of vice grips so I checked it out...
878fb610-7b13-45df-aa3e-8c3e77448436_zpsou0nutl1.jpg

Not set up to haul a lot on my bike, though there was an unopened package of 3lb "grow bags" so I opened it and started stuffing. Here is my "haul" 25 "grow bags", vice grip, dog nail clippers, spool of electric wire, spool of fence wire, roll of teflon tape, 2 working soldering irons, fence insulator, hole saw, new water pipe, allen wrench and riding crop.
I tried to hold the bag in 1 hand and ride but the bag started to stretch and tear.
So I centered it on my front rack and used the shift cable to keep it upright.
Got me home!:giggle:

Latest posts

Back