Multi Purpose HPV

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I love the look of this thing.!!
Put some bmx bars on it and it would look like the 20" version of the sidecar (sidehack) I believe there called.
Canti frame would look good but for some reason I like the diamond style frame looks good..
I bet the 5spd makes it so much better now to ride.!!!
I would cruise that thing all over the place..
Nice job on that cruiser.!!!

I kept having to adjust the band brakes, and wound up at the end of the travel on the brake arm. So I took it apart to see why. The end of the band was just wrapped around the bolt that held it, so it was able to unravel as the brakes were used. Both of the brakes are that way, and I was losing braking more everyday. I was coming back from the market with a full load, 2 of us with an LP gas bottle and a couple cases of refreshment along with groceries when I almost had to stop using my foot between the tire and frame. So I drilled a new hole through the housing and end of the band and bolted it up. Now the front brake is good and stays good. I'll do the rear brake next.

348syo2.jpg

It's a material I'm not sure of, but it's solid, not leather. A small piece of it chipped off as I was bending the metal end.

Comparing yours to a few pics online the lining material looks the same on yours as others. What I can't wrap my head around is how the brake band material is constricted around the little inner drum. On yours I'm not able to see a connection between the actuator and the brake band material. Could you explain how it works? My apologies for the question but I have always been ignorant about band brakes.

The band is pulled tight against the drum, it's flexible. Hopefully this pic shows how it's set up. It doesn't have any braking in reverse.
25ewck0.jpg

Yes, with a few rivets holding the braking strip. It gets pulled from one end and grabs the drum. I just finished the rear the same way and made a trip to the furniture store. One of our new chairs had a different pattern. I couldn't tell the difference but everyone else can. So they swapped it out, sure enough they had mixed up a couple sets of chairs. This thing can haul a ton in first gear.

2z4ad6s.jpg

My desk chair's base gave out, but the seat was still like new, so I mounted it to the sidecar in place of the little plastic seat. Also added a big umbrella to keep the sun and rain off. That's until I get my own roof made for it. I may use pvc pipe because it's light and strong enough. If not, there's always plenty of bamboo and rattan over here. I could have something custom made fairly easily.

2qs4epv.jpg

6jq8g8.jpg

Well, someone stole my umbrella! Now I can make my roof. I think pvc will be the frame, 5' x 5'. Then get a vinyl cover that can be changed out as needed, the whole thing less than 5 lbs is my plan. I just went and got a new pair of forks, the original was bending sideways. Probably my fault from spreading them open for the wider wheel with the band brake. So the front wheel went back on and the 2 rear wheels have brakes instead, with a handle like a foot brake for the sidecar. About 6 dollars for the new forks, and they'll need the top of the threads cut down, but I may make some kind of braces like truss rods for more strength and use that extra height to mount a bracket. Then they tried to sell me a big seat, it was cheap too, so I bought it. It added a little height I needed along with a seat I can sit on easily while parked, it's like an easy chair. I also need to make a better brace than the one coming off the seat post, it isn't giving much support.
5d3wb9.jpg

k9zz1i.jpg

jutzx5.jpg

Redid the seat back because the wood cracked. I used a piece of aluminum from the supplier down the street.
34sgcn4.jpg

The new forks are bending too. I need a tubular set. Just picked up a trio of fenders, same color by luck.

2r7lloo.jpg

Last edited:
The new brake was only 95 pesos, about 2 dollars, so now I can stop. Now to fab up the parking brake.

kdwlcz.jpg

P95?!!! I'm payed twice as much here in Manila! hahaha. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your front brake idea for my wife's ride. It's also interesting to see different regions in the Philippines having their own versions of these pedicabs. In our neighborhood we have the all steel, 20"ers with bmx frames, while a couple of blocks from where I live they have classic arch frame 26"ers and stainless steel sidecars. I'll try to get you some photos :)

Joe, it'll have to be a rear wheel with the threads for the drum, which may need the forks spread open a lot. I thought that's what wrecked my forks, but after removing the brake and putting the right wheel back on, the new fork is still bending from the stress of the sidecar. So, yes Luke, it'll have to be a BMX style fork without suspension. The local shop only has the same forks, so I'll have to hunt the other shops, or maybe go second hand if it looks good.

Last edited:
Joe, it'll have to be a rear wheel with the threads for the drum, which may need the forks spread open a lot. I thought that's what wrecked my forks, but after removing the brake and putting the right wheel back on, the new fork is still bending from the stress of the sidecar. So, yes Luke, it'll have to be a BMX style fork without suspension. The local shop only has the same forks, so I'll have to hunt the other shops, or maybe go second hand if it looks good.

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back