Early 80's BMX ID needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cross posted this in the vintage BMX section as well.

This 20" vintage bike has been in my possession since November of 2013. Finally posting some pics to see if it can be identified. I don't know much about these type bikes but to me it looks like a early 80's department store bike. The front sprocket looks Huffy to me but I can't find any matches online for the rear dropouts and the front frame brace connecting the top, bottom, and head tubes. Original color appears to have been yellow. I can't see any other color under the yellow. Head badge was just a sticker that got the black paint job like the rest of the bike. There is a sticker on the chain guard as well but it was also painted over. The trap pedals and rear rim have what look like 1981 date codes. Of course I have no idea if all the parts are original to the bike. The grip of course aren't. Time to let the pics do the rest of the talking.

P1070697.JPG

P1070698.JPG

P1070701.JPG

P1070699.JPG

P1070700.JPG

Dddddd Batman...........
P1070702.JPG

P1070705.JPG

P1070708.JPG

P1070709.JPG

P1070712.JPG

Yeah I know too many pics. :(

Huffy for sure, almost definitely a Thunder Trail. Here's a 1978:
huff6_blowup.jpg

Notice the weird gusset with the giant hole by the dropout; look familiar? Truth is, I think yours is earlier than '81, and it's possible they put a different decal on it and called it something else, but the frame is the same as the frames they sold as Thunder Trails. (I sttole this pic off of the museum; obviously, very little on this bike is original....)

HTH
-Rob

Thank you for the info and pic comparison. I cross posted this here on the vintage BMX section as well. Member Fat Lip said basically the same thing. He linked a pic to one version on eBay. Here is the link to his post:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-80s-bmx-id-needed.86789/#post-855465

I don't know what I'm going to do with this bike. It's just been sitting in my garage for close to a year now. My 13 year old Nephew has graduated to 24" mountain bikes. Therefore I doubt he would ride it even if I gave it a face lift. Not sure if there is any desire or value to sell online since it has been spray bombed.

That's a rad little bike with very little collectors' value. Surely you know a kid in need of a bike? Give that thing a tune-up and pass it on to a deserving kid.... If you don't know one, ask your friends/family if they do.

That's the problem none of us know of a child needing a bike. I would much rather find someone local for it. So much easier that way and sounds like my only option since the bad finish ruins any real value for this bike. Therefore no online interest. I will likely take your advice and when I'm able tune it up. My Niece is ready for a 20" but we are unsure if a boys frame will be okay with her. That is yet to be determined, if that works out the bike will end up purple and pink for her. :D

That's the problem none of us know of a child needing a bike. I would much rather find someone local for it. So much easier that way and sounds like my only option since the bad finish ruins any real value for this bike. Therefore no online interest. I will likely take your advice and when I'm able tune it up. My Niece is ready for a 20" but we are unsure if a boys frame will be okay with her. That is yet to be determined, if that works out the bike will end up purple and pink for her. :D
It's already got a bad rattlecan job; just spray it with some pink and let'r rip on it.

Well she quite picky so it would have to be at minimum a good rattle can job. That means stripping all the paint from the frame and starting from scratch.

Latest posts

Back