Junk Store Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine went 'up nort' for the weekend and picked this up for me from an antique/ junk store.

It's obviously been cobbled together with pretty much every imaginable incorrect part but I think it still has good bones.

The friend that got it for me has been in the bicycle business for most of his life. He's probably forgotten more about old bikes than I currently know, however he's been out of the vintage bicycle scene for a few years. He was under the impression that the frame was probably an Elgin. I did a little research and have seen some Elgin models that look very similar.

Any thoughts from the experts?

65aefaae23924e9bdd08b164d2d7d724_zpscc02525e.jpg

678f254db4586a97f131b25580a37074_zps14d26f28.jpg

I'm no expert, but the chain ring is a late 50's early 60's Rollfast (Snyder). The frame is earlier than that.

Thanks for the information, all. I can't say I'm not a little disappointed that it's not an Elgin. I even had a couple girls bikes to use as parts to put this one back together.

At 1939 though I think this might be the oldest bike I have so I still think that's pretty neat.

Looks like a early possibly pre 1940 frame. maybe a Cleveland Welding Company CWC frame. They made frames for several companies. Usually rear slide-outs indicate pre WWII . By mid forties most were designed with slide-outs facing towards the crank-housing instead of away from it as indicated by this frame. My 2 cents worth!

Last night I took a little sand paper to the bottom of the frame and found the serial numbers. It reads, "14EH" and under that, "6430".

I have some slightly newer Hawthornes (that I believe were also Snyder built) that have very similar numbering system and in my experience with them the first two numbers are a reversal of the last two digits of the year. So in this case I believe the bike would be a 1941 model. Thoughts?

Last night I took a little sand paper to the bottom of the frame and found the serial numbers. It reads, "14EH" and under that, "6430".

I have some slightly newer Hawthornes (that I believe were also Snyder built) that have very similar numbering system and in my experience with them the first two numbers are a reversal of the last two digits of the year. So in this case I believe the bike would be a 1941 model. Thoughts?
You're correct, '41 Snyder. I think 40 was the first year for the reverse year stamp. -Adam

Latest posts

Back