All American CWC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Now that the build off is done its time to catch up on some other projects, bought this frame from Euphman06 back in may, just cuz it looked cool and the price was right :)
he4e8agy.jpg
the head badge was a cool surprise, it wasn't on the bike in the for sale pics
3asegy2y.jpg
someone slapped blue house paint over the original paint, a lot of which is missing, so ill probably paint it, no idea what color yet... It's gonna be a simple hot rod kinda bike. I bought this crank adapter
zapunamu.jpg
AC with the idea of using a modern 3 piece crank, so I got this one
gaqy7edy.jpg
and some old mountain bike pedals I had laying around, but it put the chain line way too far out so back to the drawing board and another part for the box of stuff i dont know what to do with, got this adapter and bottom bracket
2urumyqy.jpg
Now were back in business! I have this front wheel and rear rim off an old mountain bike
e5araqah.jpg
and I'm gonna lace it to this bendix 2-speed manual hub
u6uqaga6.jpg
I took the hub apart and have the parts soaking in a bucket of simple green, now it's off to the Internet to find a spoke length calculator! Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only bought the frame and fork so can't be sure, but I think whoever pained the bike blue did it assembled, cuz there's no paint on the inside of the fork legs or the chain stays and seat stays
9y6a3e6u.jpg
a few minutes with my favorite paint removal device
nutuba6u.jpg
and some scotchbrite and the fork is ready for primer
yhuvynev.jpg
next step; frame paint removal....

Stopped at the hardware store today and bought a seat post and some truss rods
evaga2us.jpg
my spokes showed up Friday so it's wheel assembling time
ba8yjy5u.jpg
the rainbow beach towel keeps the kitchen table from getting scratched :) gotta use what you got.... First set of 9 spokes installed
ytyreved.jpg
and the second
zasynu7a.jpg
then the third
esesepa7.jpg
and the final 9
6epa7y5y.jpg
it almost looks like a wheel now :) just gotta tension and true it, then I can get it on the bike to fit the fender. Oh and in case anyone was wondering, this is what's inside a bendix manual 2 speed
ujuputez.jpg
mostly the se as a red band, but with a set of planetary gears in the sprocket driver. Pretty simple really...

I got the hub assembled, wheel trued and tires mounted
qavema9y.jpg
then dug through the fender pile, found an old front fender that will fit with minimal hacking
yse4ajy6.jpg
this bracket came off a rusty bike I took apart last year, the rods were long gone
guvutazu.jpg
these are cable terminals from the auto parts store
esajagyv.jpg
and I picked up some 5/16th steel rod, I wanted aluminum but they didn't have that size
qura3y8e.jpg
the plan is to make a coat hanger template, cut a piece of wood to the desired curve and bend the bar against the wood, of course that is subject to change :) here's a teaser shot of the bike so far...
ahuqere4.jpg
and here's the stem and headlight I want to use
vepemaju.jpg
that's all for this evening, time for couch and TV

I got a bit of work done on this today. My plan for bending the truss rods didn't go as planned so I've got a single bend instead of a curve but other than that they came out ok
8erynegy.jpg
stainless hardware
by9anepe.jpg
guess it looks alright, I can always redo it later
hagumuzu.jpg
I got the paint off the frame
ubusu4a8.jpg
then took a ride to the hardware store to stare at spray paint cans :) decided on this
u6a5eby4.jpg
satin green apple, stay tuned....

Well I started assembly tonight, here's the freshly painted frame
eve7ateb.jpg
step one; install fender
a2anazuh.jpg
then the bottom bracket adapter
ytededa5.jpg
followed by the bottom bracket
3ezasyjy.jpg
then the crank
8upubata.jpg
next up; install rear wheel
3ume7e2y.jpg
then cut and adjust the chain, I used a nickel plated KMC
qu5etaqe.jpg
then I had to take the wheel back off to put a small dent in the fender to clear the chain, doh! Now on to the front, headset cups cleaned up nice
nynune8y.jpg
front fork installed
zy6y6yru.jpg
followed by the front wheel and my home made truss rods
yse3ezy6.jpg
I really like this stem, adds to the hot rod look I think
u7yrata5.jpg
last thing this evening was the awesome head badge
vyvy8yra.jpg
now it's time for dinner! Here's what I've got so far
u2u4unas.jpg
I hope to have it rideable by the weekend

Didn't get much done tonight, really tired after working in this humidity all day :( I cut and bent a seat post out of 5/8 bar stock
6yvagy2a.jpg
then mounted my headlight
asa9ete8.jpg
it's an old generator powered light I got at a swap meet for a dollar, my cheap and lazy LED conversion is gluing in a small flashlight
ejejybyt.jpg
but as I was cutting the reflector with a dremel I sliced my finger open on the jagged edge so I quit for the night, time for a beer and some cartoons :)

Getting close! Got a bit more done tonight, these awesome grips were in my mailbox when I got home last night
6e3adeqe.jpg
they're from ifitsfreeitsforme , the quality is outstanding, highly recommend :) The shifter is on and kinda adjusted
a6ubajeb.jpg
and the light works
bu6e8e7e.jpg
useful for our Northampton night rides :) all that's left is to rebuild the seat then test ride and fine tune and it will be a bike

Awesome! After seeing this bike today I have to build one like it! :crazy2: I really like the style of this bike! The pictures don't do it justice! Nice work!
Thanks for the seat! I did some work on my bike as soon as I got home. Was to dark for pics, but the seat and crash rail look GREAT!

Thanks guys! Appreciate it, Nick get that spaceliner done so we can take em for a ride :) I started with this seat, I've got one on another bike and its not too uncomfortable, but the sparkly color wasn't gonna work
me9abasa.jpg
so I pulled off the cover and traced it on some black material
5ejepe3y.jpg
hit it with some spray glue
epa9ymu2.jpg
then reattached the re-painted frame
agyzyteh.jpg
and I've got a seat
e4y6ypuj.jpg
it's kinda lumpy and far from perfect but so am I ;) and its the last part I needed to make this thing a rider. It was over 90 and really humid here today so the first test ride was really short but it seems to ride really nice. The shifting is a bit finicky and wants a gentle touch but ill try to tune it a bit when it's nicer out, other than that I'm calling this one done. Thanks to euphman06 for selling me such a cool frame, crassly for hooking me up with the shifter parts, Ian for the awesome grips and once again everyone here for the kind words and inspiration

Latest posts

Back