MBBO Class 2 - ALiEN FiRE - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well if it's only bolt on, this bike could almost squeeze into Class 1.
But, in my mind its a Super Modified, so that's where I'm going!
And some point there's going to have to be some cutting, drilling,
and or welding involved to get a seat mounted...
You see, it's a flip bike.

Here's the mockup with the correct size wheels on it.
Alien tech :android: allows for the floating seat, and invisible BB...
It started out as a Roadmaster women's MTB. I death rayed all the stickers off of it except the headbadge which looks good upside down, I'll get a pic eventually. I like the way the flip rakes the forks out forward, I think the lines on this one look natural.

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
from the Drawing Board...
ALiEN FiRE :android: my Muscle Bike Build-Off 3 entry.
Super Modified class - Drawing Board stats.
for sure:
Frame - Roadmaster womens MTB flipped
Wheels- 26" 5 speed rear, 20" front
Hbars - Apehangers
Lighting - Plasma
Shifter - Vintage Shimano
Seat - Recovered banana w/ cafe rear styling
to be determined:
BB mounting...
Crank - 2 speed front derailleur?
Seat mounting and sissy?
Brakes - rim or disc?
Power Supply - battery w/ recharging system
More Lighting - Lazer...

Carl.

I don't trust Alien tech :android:
So I'm fabbing a BB.

I'm midway thru this had to come in for some coffee and to set up me thread!

Carl.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this for weeks... measure twice cut once, right? Well it should fit according to the micrometer.

Carl.

I like the plans for the underslung apes.

I've been at it all day! Woohoo.

Pulled the 8 speed cassette off and changed spacers for this vintage Shimano 5 speed setup. I really like the old chrome spoke protector. BUT, uhoh, that chain line is no good, there's two more gears and no more clearance.

yeah that tubing on the BB slid into the seat tube like it was MADE for it... but see the clamp and the bit of seat tube? I think if I cut it off, that should raise the chain line and good inch and a half. Or fab a plate to bolt into the rear drops to stretch it out and drop the frame just a bit. I'm not rushing into either choice, we'll see.

It's the wrong front wheel, I had to put the 20" back on my son's BMX. The 24" still allows room for the goose neck but it doesn't sit right for me. There's that flipped badge too... Like my old Shimano shifters? There's a mod ahead for those bad boys...

I had to hone out the tube at the bottom for the stem to fit but, but it clears the forks just like I wanted. Now, if my bars would just show up! Alien :android: freight shipped them Thursday...

Carl.

Today is done as far as bike builds go... if the past is any :eek: indicator, I should be back at it in about a week. o_O Besides, the Alien tech :android: has to cool...

Carl.

Lots of odd geometry with a flipped bike :android:
Chain line is wacked just a bit and the dropouts adjustment is the wrong way.
Spent the last couple hours swapping out spacers on my wheel and tweaking the frame some. Dished isn't the right word for the frame, but the frame is built to help the dish of the wheel... flip it and the tweak of the frame fights against the dish of the wheel. Unbend that, and the dropouts end up misaligned. Maybe a left side drive would help, but that's another can of worms... So mild untweaking and rim spacer swaps finally solved my problem, so far. Pulled my front chainring apart and painted the inner ring flat black. It's baking in the oven right now.

Carl.

Cool stuff here.
I love the bottom bracket idea, but like Luke, I'm wondering if it might twist when you put some weight on it. Either way, it shouldn't be a hard fix if it does pose a problem.
Haha, I'm not a great welder but I'm hoping I can pull off a plug weld...
rather than run a bolt thru it or relying on just the seat bolt...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back