Huffy Cranbrook " Rattitude Adjustment "

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. Are you guys going to Terryville this weekend? I plan on being there.

Looks great. Are you guys going to Terryville this weekend? I plan on being there.

Thanks Buddy :)

Nope , we will have to miss Terryville this year..... This is the 1st time in 16 years that we were unable to make any Volkswagen Shows...Busy year for sure!...
We ARE planning on going to TRANSPORTERFEST though..... It's a really cool All VW show @ the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline , Ma.

We leave for our week long Vintage Campout on Saturday morning. :thumbsup: ------>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Time-Travel-Camping-Club/616167108498449 <------LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE :thumbsup:

August 7 , 2014

Rebuilt the New Departure hub before work today.....

LOTS of moving parts inside for sure. It's my 1st New Departure hub rebuild.:thumbsup:

Before removing anything.... I tied a piece of wire on the spokes and the brake arm on the same side.... I wanted to be sure I reloaded everything back together in the same direction it came apart....

It was pretty nasty black, waxy, old grease throughout..... probably hasn't been apart since this was filmed... :eek:

I scrubbed and scraped away years & years of funk..... I used brake cleaner , a small brush, & and a tiny screwdriver for the real stubborn areas.....

initial degreasing....

After everything was clean , I grabbed a 2x4 and a sheet of really fine sandpaper ... I wanted to deglaze and resurface the clutch disc washers..... So , one by one , I carefully sanded them smooth... And placed them back in the order they came apart.

I repacked all the bearings with grease... A real quick skim coat on the inside of the hollow hub itself.... As for the carefully resurfaced washers, I restacked them on the axle, lined up the grooves. They alternate..... slotted , round , slotted , round......
I tilted the whole axle on its side ( using the brake arm as a handle ) and poured motor oil directly onto the washers. ( grease for the bearings only , oil for the clutch assembly )

Everything reassembled perfectly!
A lot less intimidating than I initially thought when I first tore it apart....

Quick road test went awesome!
These are , by far , the best braking hubs I've ridden. ( SKIDDING MACHINE! )

Stay Tuned!

Nice work.
I have my 1941 model D that I want to service but a bit nervous about cracking it open.
You've given me more hope that I won't kill it thanks

August 8 , 2014

I went for a ride this morning to snap some completed shots before leaving for work.....

Man this thing rides great ! :banana:

Today my buddy will be picking it up while I'm at work.... I won't see his reaction til the campground tomorrow.
Hope he likes it! :eek:

Before:

After A Week .....:113:

Huffy Cranbrook " Rattitude Adjustment " is DONE!

Last edited:
Nice work, that fork is screaming " Rake me! "

August 5 , 2014
( it was just like the smokiest of smoke shows. Smelled like tires burning .... It was awesome!! :rockout: )
Well, this made my day!

I love the before/after contrast: completely different bikes you transformed a shitbike into an amazing rat!
The end result is simply stunning. Congrats, I like a lot especially the detailed procedure with patina.

My buddy LOVED it!!
He was riding it the whole week at our campout
In fact he made it his profile pic on facebook :113:

check out Time Travel Camping Club
on Facebook :thumbsup:

Awesome! Took an otherwise useless piece of Chinese junk and converted it into an American Classic!!:113:
I'll never look at a Wally Mart stray the same way again!:cool:

Latest posts

Back