My '92 Cougar: Starting the paint process

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why, oh why would you want to do that! :crazy:
It´s just wrong. Wrong I say! :cry:

Doing that you are going to spoil both, the Merc and more importantly the (idea of a real -49) Ford.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, dont´do it.:20::20::20::20::20:

Why, oh why would you want to do that! :crazy:
It´s just wrong. Wrong I say! :cry:

Doing that you are going to spoil both, the Merc and more importantly the (idea of a real -49) Ford.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, dont´do it.:20::20::20::20::20:

Are these kits really that frowned upon? I thought it'd be cool and add to the sleeper effect.

Not even a Rat Rod guy would do that. :) Now if you want to take the body off the frame and bolt on a 49 ford....you would have a nice cruiser. Probably for about the same money. But that takes some pretty good talent and a shop/tools to do it right.

I have a 65 Dart /6 car..runs good, gets good MPG, and is as smooth as my old Crown Vic going down the road.

Well I think the Cougar is unibody so pulling it off the frame might be hard. Also having no garage, and no workspace I don't have the resources to do a long drawn out project. Maybe I should just keep it looking like a stock Cougar. I have been thinking of doing some structural bracing underneath and possibly doing a custom removable Targa top if possible.

Nope it's unibody like most other 90's cars which kinda sucks especially being right smack in the middle of the rust belt. But it is a great platform being one of the only 90's cars of this size and style that is rear wheel drive making it incredibly easy to work on and fun to drive. Also the V6 has the same bolt pattern on the bell housing as most Ford small block V8's.

Also I found some better pictures of the Easy Rods kit installed on a Cougar. With the body lines filled in and a few mods I think it could look cool. Kinda a resto-mod look. It doesn't look like a '49 Ford or old Merc but it looks like something all it's own blending old and new together, And with the flat color it doesn't look half bad. I'd definitely swap or shave the door handles, drop the big klunky mirrors for something more fitting, and use more modern wheels though.

225658_10152830499820118_752353455_n.jpg

936300_10152830499915118_179191721_n.jpg

I feel what is pictured above would require the driver to wear a wide brimmed hat with a polyester suit. Oh and don't forget a large feather for the hat band.

Last edited:
Well I got some armor-all wipes and went to work on both my Cougar and my new Mazda pickup and got both swept out and cleaned up. Looking spiffy.

IMG_2902.jpg

90% rust free
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

No rips, few stains but I haven't cleaned it yet
IMG_2911.jpg

Dash shined up well
IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Under the hood there is this little 4 banger with a blown head gasket
IMG_2912.jpg

But I started noticing things... It's a 2.2
IMG_2913.jpg

New starter down in there
IMG_2920.jpg

New alternator
IMG_2919.jpg

New Weber 2 barrel carb
IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

This don't look stock
IMG_2917.jpg

Also cleaned up the Cougar
IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg
Now you know why it's called a B "2200." Mazda trucks are named after their displacement.

you can buy a junkyard cab and mount it on that chassis
i think you will be good then
that weber carb will get you a couple hundred easily
its a good lookin lil truck ashame to part it away
can also use ford ranger parts i believe i think they are the same truck just badged differently
either way good luck with the truck
sean
Thats not a Ranger based truck, none of the parts interchange, Mazda doesn't use Rangers until the second gen Rangers. They did use he first gen Explorer for the Navajo, though.

hmmm...didn't know the Cougar is a unibody...figured it was a full frame car like a crown vic.
The only other BOF cars of the 90s were the gm b bodies; Caprice, Impala, Fleetwood, Roadmaster, and Custom Cruiser.

The only other BOF cars of the 90s were the gm b bodies; Caprice, Impala, Fleetwood, Roadmaster, and Custom Cruiser.

And I think those were the only other front engine rear wheel drive too besides the Cougar, Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, exc.

And I think those were the only other front engine rear wheel drive too besides the Cougar, Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, exc.
Yeah, the mn12 cougar, thunderbird, and markviii. The Aerostar, astro/safari as well, since most minivans aaside from the mid engine rear drive previa and the mpv, since minvans were mostly fwd. Well the mpv and other awd cars dont count- as they were front wheel biased.

I always liked this concept I saw on the internet. Make it RWD and put the Hemi under the hood with a turbo or twin turbo option and you'd have more dads getting minivans.

Or if you wanna get really crazy put the Viper V-10 in it!

2004-Dodge-Caravan-SWB-SXT-2.jpeg

I think I found a direction to go with my Cougar... This is a thunderbird but they are the same platform and 90% interchangeable. JDM style on an American car... So much wrong and at the same time so much right about this.

I think I found a direction to go with my Cougar... This is a thunderbird but they are the same platform and 90% interchangeable. JDM style on an American car... So much wrong and at the same time so much right about this.

I´m not a fan of ricer / drift scene either but much, much better imo.

I hope you put power there too.:thumbsup:

I´m not a fan of ricer / drift scene either but much, much better imo.

I hope you put power there too.:thumbsup:

Contrary to popular belief it doesn't take insane power to drift, not that I'll be wanting to tear up tires anyway, just going for the look. Most are running 300-400HP. I do plan to up the performance of my Cougar but not so much that it looses it's fuel mileage entirely. It's a fine line I'll be treading between grocery getter and hot rod. I'm hoping to get around 300-350HP so not crazy expectations but it will make a HUGE difference over the stock 190HP and should give a V8 Mustang a good scare. I think you missed the post of what I plan to do for the engine. Here's the link... I however will not be running nitrous.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...-powered-mustang/?cx_navSource=related-bottom

More pics of my plan, This is a Thunderbird but I love the look and they are the same car under the skin so I know most the parts will be the same. I love the front bumper on this. I wonder if I could swap the headlights from a Thunderbird onto my Cougar and use this bumper or if they make one like it for the cougar, I think Black chrome would set off the Mustang Cobra R rims better, a small wing or nascar style spoiler like this, slight lowering, hood pins, Just sinister looking.
0308091512.jpg

image_2682.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DSC01921.jpg

Latest posts

Back