J.C. Higgins Sears Roebuck and Co.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i have got this late birthday gift.

It's a 26" J.C. Higgins Sears Roebuck and Co. ladys bike. With a push button in the tank, i think for a horn.

On the left side the fork shows 4 stars.

The bottombracket says. MOS-Q MOD502-286 90586

As i am from the Netherlands and not being familiar with this kind of American Bikes.
Would i like to learn more about this bike.
Such as, wich year could it been made?
Are the parts that are still on the bike, the correct ones?
Where can i find parts for the bike?

Anybody who can tel something, please let me know.

Looks mid 50's to me. Probably made by Murry. Grips, fenders and chainring may not be OG. Cool looking bike though. Parts are readily available on this site or feebay. Shipping to the Netherlands might make it tough.
Johnny

@ Nightrider.
Do you have pics of a bike which you think it is.
Because i would like to make it complete.
I do need a rearrack and a chainguard.
Shipping to the Netherlands could be arranged trough someone in the US.
Who ships it combined with cars.

I believe that's a Rollfast chain ring and cranks.
Here's a 1950 J C Higgins women's bike. Made by Murray. looks like you have the original tank and fenders but handlebars may not be. Seat looks original too.

k9tbmb.jpg

Last edited:
Wildcat & Rustinkerer, do you both think that the bike shown in Wildcats post, is the way to go for my bike?
Because i would like to restore it back to Original.

The chainring on my bike is not a skiptooth, but a normal chainring.
The seatpost is very thin and bend forward.

Wildcat & Rustinkerer, do you both think that the bike shown in Wildcats post, is the way to go for my bike?
Because i would like to restore it back to Original.

The chainring on my bike is not a skiptooth, but a normal chainring.
The seatpost is very thin and bend forward.
Yes, that's probably how your bike was set up originally. Probably a skip tooth too. The original coaster brake would have cooling fins on the hub.

Those might be the right handlebars. If you plan to ride this bike or have someone use it regularly, then the standard chain might be easier to deal with than skip tooth. Finding all the parts to make it original will be tough. You may be able to find a replacement horn unit if it's missing. Mailing and shipping will get costly. The seat post is probably supposed to have that bend in it, it allows the seat to be farther forward or backward to suit the rider.

Last edited:

Yesterday i've got also this rear rack, wich was on the bike when it came to The Netherlands.

But while i was looking for parts i came across a similar rack which is sold as a Western Flyer Roadmaster, so i think this is not a J.C. Higgins part.

Is it wise to build up the bike, like the blue one on the pic above?

Because i did find some of the parts for that build up.

Yes, that's probably how your bike was set up originally. Probably a skip tooth too. The original coaster brake would have cooling fins on the hub.
Thanks, i like this build up verry much.
Do you know the name of this model?
The hub has only one groove in the middle of the hub.
I will post some detail pics soon.

If you wanted to make it original, you'll spend much more than the bike will be worth on the market. Unfortunately, vintage women's bikes don't have much demand. But for yourself, using what you have already will make a nice looking vintage bike. Even with different parts, it still looks good when painted to match. As you find more of the original parts, you can add them.

It may have been a JC Higgins Streamline model instead of the more deluxe color flow model.

Here are my men and women's versions which are a 48 and 52 streamline.

275ddb4b23f78759017989d8be975082.jpg

Closer shot of the men's.
75e6990dc11c0e40649815915fa682a4.jpg

Looking at the pictures again, it's not setup like the one wildcat posted since it has the basic badge and not the formed tall badge.

Definitely a Murray built bike though. The 'knuckle' joints on the seat tube and built in seat clamp are giveaways.

The rack may be like this one. jC Higgins did use a few other racks during that time frame also though.
1de9b007bed7558050e382efa4c2abd8.jpg

Forgot to mention. The chainring, pedals, stem and handlebars on mine are not correct. They are repop parts from Memory Lane that the previous owner added. Sadly both had been repainted as well.

Okay thanks M.M.
I'm not sure which of the builds it is.
I do know that there are different parts used @ the bike.
The fenders on my bike are not the smooth round ones.
But my bike has the same fenders, with the fold / line in the middle.
As the fenders on this bike. ( See red arrow)

Because i've got the bike as a birthday present from a friend.
And it came with this rear rack.
I am gonna use this rear rack for now.

I like the colorflow build-ups with the skirtguards on it very much.
So that's why i bought these parts today.

I know maybee these parts are not the correct ones.
But as i said i like the skirtguards.

BTW, what do you mean with this?
The 'knuckle' joints on the seat tube and built in seat clamp are giveaways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back