Novice Questions: Springer forks, FELT fenders, S2 wheel sets, etc.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's roughly a month to get a new build started before my schedule goes to crap and my "free time" plummets. I'm hoping to get a decent '60 Schwinn Tornado in rolling (obviously, no where near "finished") condition by mid-August. My parts lists (really more of a "wish list," as I'm hoping half this stuff works well together) is long, and I've been saving this summer to complete the build. It includes a FELT front fork and "Shorty" fender set, a 26" x 2.125" wheel set (to replace the OEM S7 26" x 1.75" set) complete with Bontrager rubber (either "Hanks" or "Solanas"), so on and so on. These are the largest, most expensive parts I'm hoping to put into the build, but am also considering a 7-speed set up from a late-model bicycle, to provide more versatility in cycling across campus. This is, at least theoretically, the largest challenge I face in the build itself.

So, here goes: first, which of FELT's forks is best: the dual or single? Does anyone have any experience with either? I know Monark also offers a Type I and Type II (the Type II, from what I have learned, is a rebuilt version of the junk Type I) dual fork, but have heard FELT's offerings are of better quality. Furthermore, will FELT's "Shorty" set work well with either of these forks? Secondly, will any 26" x 2.125" set of cruiser wheels from any late-model "cruiser" work for this build? I LOVE Schwinn S2s, and really want to put a set on, but rebuild sets are somewhat outside my price range. I'm thinking Red-Line "Hanks" are a must for this build, but really like the classic look of whitewalls as well. Finally, is there any multi-speed set up out there that plays well with a 26" x 2.125" wheel set? I'm not experienced with spreading rear forks, and am hopeful there may be an easier alternative. Here's a couple pictures of my starting point!

Your fenders will never fit with S2's and Bontragers. I don't think they make the red line Hanks anymore but you can probably still find a set somewhere. You've got a solid frame to start with so you can go many directions. Gary

Thanks, Gary! I'm assuming you were referring to the "Shorty" fenders not playing well with the S2's and Bontragers, and not the original fenders already in place? I had heard that the "Hanks" were hard to come by, but have a LBS which seems to be able to find all kinds of odd-ball and discontinued parts. Whitewalls may be the easier route, and I'm definitely not against the look! Everything's real solid overall; hopefully she'll make a great cruiser!

I'm also considering fabricating my own "springer", to insure clearances, steerer tube length, etc. are correct, instead of modifying an already pricey manufactured fork. Just reading into the idea now. Regardless, I have no idea if that will resolve my fender issues or not.

S-7 rims do not take 1.75" tires, they take 1-3/4" which is a whole 'nother animal. IF you have 1.75" tires fit on there, you already have S-2 rims, which are compatible with modern 26" decimal sizes. The frame has room, but the stock fenders from an S-7 bike don't quite have clearance for most 2.125" tires. You will need a fork with a 1" steer tube, some are 1-1/8".

Thanks, deorman! Great information there. Can't assume anything, I suppose, as I never realized the difference in 1-3/4" and 1.75"... I BELIEVE I'm fitted with the former, but will definitely look into it. Regardless of the rims currently affixed, I'm thinking a modern 26" x 2.125" wheel set is in the works, for safety, truing, and reliability issues among others. Not that I have anything against the factory Schwinn sets (obviously), but I feel going with new equipment as far as the power-train is concerned is not a bad idea! It took some time to convince myself to start tearing the frame down, but I've just begun to. I was curious as to what size steering tube I'd need for any installation (again, thanks!) custom or otherwise. I'm assuming, similar to the 1.75" v. 1-3/4" issue, that 1-1/8" is entirely different from 1.125"? Care to elaborate there? Again, I was entirely ignorant as to any difference between the two.

Your bike takes 1" threaded.
The Monark 1 is a fine light weight piece, once you put bushings in.
Same holds true for the Sunlite/Monark 2, which is identical looking to Felts. Same or not, I dunno.

Thanks for the input, mikeeebikey. I just checked, seems to be true. Good to know, for sure! Looking into Monark 1's, I'd heard the build quality was not as good as the 2's, but knew the overall look was identical. It looks more and more as if a custom fork might not be a terrible idea.

Okay, looks like the FELT A/L fork is actually a 1 1/8" that requires retrofitting for the 1" tubes. And reading reviews on Monark Type I's across a number of online forums, I'm certainly not going that route. Which leaves the Type II, at no less than $180+, as the only "simple" alternative in re-pop/manufactured springers. Has anyone ever been able to make their own front fork and retain the original front fork as the lower, "rigid" fork?

True. I haven't seen one lately, and don't know about how much I'd have in fixing one. Moreso, I like the look of the dual springers more than the Schwinn single ones. It's another idea to throw around. Right now, I have the original trusses and fork in place, and was thinking that fabricating my own "active" fork would allow me to retain some more of the original patina, subtracting only the trusses.

Here's how my S-7s are marked. If these older wheels are currently fitted with these, I'm assuming they will not accommodate the modern 2-inch decimal sizes discussed earlier?

Correct, decimal and fractional tire sizes won't mix As you know Schwinn has some special fractional sizes all of their own if you have those Schwinn rims that require them.

The difference between the two never really crossed my mind... I simply figured the two references (1 3/4 or 1.75) were interchangeable. Ignorant on my part, as I've figured out. When it comes to wheel sets, I'm more concerned about getting the style and make of wheel on than actually using Schwinn parts (though, like I said, I would really like to utilize some S2s!). Does anyone know how much a ready-to-roll set of S2s normally brings? The last I saw were $150, and, after talking with a LBS in northern IN, it seems that's about market for them any more. The way it sounds now, though, even with an S2 set, the Bontrager 2.125"s won't work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Definitely a possibility at those prices! Much more manageable.

As far as tires go, I figure I'll stick to the classic white wall look, as red-lines and other unique styles seem as though they're going to be harder to find than originally thought. It seems Chimichanga's S7 WW's would be a good idea, or even the "brick" pattern 2.125s he offers, as they are cheaper than Bontrager's Solanas and seem to have a better tread pattern. I'm leary, though, of putting WW tires onto the bike that have almost an off-road tread on them, as I like the smoother aesthetics.

Essentially, my only concern now is what to do with the fenders situation, regardless of whether the originals come off for "Shortys" or not. I never considered before-hand that the switch to 2.125s would cause such an issue in that department, as I considered them the more conservative and available choice to the rather large (and older) 2.35" size.

Latest posts

Back