The 50 + miler Columbia Torpedo Blast solo bike run

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know,I can hear the moans all the way to my house---NOT MORE PICTURES:20:Thaaaaats right more pics!!.Being the perpetual bike chuckle head and always trying one up my stupidity I set out to mile up the Torpedo on her longest ride to date.Yeah and I know this looks like "The Song Remains And Looks The Same-ZEP"{a close to 40 mi last week} but this ride merits a look over in the fact that its a decent "longie bike run on an old girl.Took some pics of the speedo zeroed out and the end of the journey.I started on Brickyard Rd trailhead in Farmington on the Heritage Trail and ran to the the end in Westfield.I had a little extra breakfast at the Red Riding Hood eatery on Congamond Rd.a worthy stop for a quick snack for the guys who are planning to do the 60 miler "Gluteus Maximus run in July.Ran it to the end in Westfield spun it and then stopped at a new place for a J&T,at the Shaker golf course,the girls gave me the coolest glass that will hold all my beers at home:D.Headed to Crabby's and yeah it may look like a rehash but how can anybody get tired of beautiful motorcycles,great music{music was the band "Unplugged"check out that crazy drum kit and that big ol bass-sweet!!} and watercraft on a beautiful lake?Headed back to the car and did a respectable 57 +miles.All in all a great day and don't figure I only had some slight cramping in the car on the way home:rockout: course I'v learned a few tricks over the years:crazy: and from some knowledgeable bike friends.Hope you guys doing the 60 on the Gluteus Maximus run have as much fun as I did:thumbsup:.Enjoy the ride or at least pretend to:grin:.
001.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
071.JPG
019.JPG
022.JPG
027.JPG
024.JPG
029.JPG
032.JPG
036.JPG
037.JPG
039.JPG
030.JPG

Thats pretty impressive! All right in my backyard!

Joe

You're one tough dude with that 65 ring gear with a 22 rear sprocket. Avg speed?:bigboss:
Lets not forget I get a lot of help from the Bendix two speed kickback underdrive hub.This lets you take off easy and the when you lightly backpedal it will shift into high gear.Since this was a longer trip I don't try to kill myself going to fast but the bike with gear combo will average anywhere from 14 to 17 mph comfortably and can bump it up to 19 to 21 mph for s n g's:13: and for an ol timer in my opinion that's pretty darn good!,try taking a pic of your speedo doing 20 on a bike holding a camera in hand:crazy: yes I am!Thank GOD I didn't CAB it would of been real ugly!
012.JPG
011.JPG
020.JPG
017.JPG

2 Speed hub. I should've known. I've got a 65 with lucky 7 sprocket 35 welded to 24 rims with thick bricks. It's a great beach bike. Next build a 65 with a 3 speed on 26 in wheels. What frame did you use? Looks like a dx. Was their a lot of modification to the frame?

Its a 58 Columbia Torpedo,with no mods to the frame.Check out "New life for an old girlfriend" in "builds".

That's a puurrrdy bike ya got there! With a road trip like that, gotta call you Iron Man. Looks like a good time was had!
No there's no Iron Man riding with me,it must be those gin & tonics I'm hitting at the trailside bars!:showingbiceps: :crazy:.It was a terrific bike run,hope you guys enjoyed the ride through the pictures.We're very fortunate here in Ct and Mass as the bike rails to trails are getting longer pretty much every year.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back