Something you'll get a kick out of...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I bought this from the bike shop that used it back in the day. Check out those prices.

It's a pretty big sign so I have it displayed in the garage.

yqy8y7yd.jpg

Only $7 to lace a hub. Sweet!
Of course that was probably equal to one tenth of a new bike back then! so it's all relative.

Last edited:
Kingfish makes a good point re: inflation....

I'm mostly floored that they're charging 50% extra to repack a "foreign" headset versus an American one. I get it with the BBs; OPCs are quick and easy, whereas threaded BBs can be a PITA.... but where does the extra $2 come from for the headset repack?

You have to remember that sign is from a day when "foreign" was "different". That particular guy could service an American bike in his sleep with one arm in a sling, but he probably had to "think" a little on the foreign stuff just because it probably rarely came through the door.;)
Plus, he knew that if you had a "foreign bike" in Chattanooga, TN in the 50's and 60's you were willing to pay $2.00 more....

Ceebee is rights, He knows the part of town this bike shop was in. That's probably the case. Probably 1 foreign bike for 250 American bikes.

Foreign 3 speed: ask!
Funny, in the 80s the 2 shops I worked at, had that same policy!
But could quote derailer alignment sight unseen!

In a lot of ways, those prices are still effective today in how they relate to proprietary components on most high-end exotic road bikes, be they domestic or foreign.

The $10-per hour Shop Fee back then is relatively similar to, (after adjusting for inflation dollars over time) the $50-per hour Shop Fees of today. Furthermore, this includes the cost of parts.

That list is awesome in a historical context – it’s a keeper and would be proudly displayed in any shop, be it at home or business – it’s a great get, Double Nickel!

It's a cool part of our hobbies history.

Plus, he knew that if you had a "foreign bike" in Chattanooga, TN in the 50's and 60's you were willing to pay $2.00 more....

I think you nailed it, right there. The upcharge was more to do with knowing the clientele with the imported bikes BITD would gladly pony up the extra couple bucks, so why not?

Maybe he had to pay for the different size wrenches-Metric vs. SAE

Yeah, sure, but that wrench would've paid for itself easily after just a few repairs.....

Loose versus caged bearings.:whistle:

Even going way back to some seriously old bike (I bet this sign was from the 60s), I'd seen plenty of foreign bikes with caged bearings in the headset. Same with BB bearings, in many cases. That being said, I don't think I've ever cracked open a vintage (70s or older) American headset that didn't have retainer cages... and i'll admit that loose balls in a headset or a BB or a pain..... definitely worth an upcharge.

I think you nailed it, right there. The upcharge was more to do with knowing the clientele with the imported bikes BITD would gladly pony up the extra couple bucks, so why not?

Yeah, sure, but that wrench would've paid for itself easily after just a few repairs.....

Even going way back to some seriously old bike (I bet this sign was from the 60s), I'd seen plenty of foreign bikes with caged bearings in the headset. Same with BB bearings, in many cases. That being said, I don't think I've ever cracked open a vintage (70s or older) American headset that didn't have retainer cages... and i'll admit that loose balls in a headset or a BB or a pain..... definitely worth an upcharge.

My '40 Schwinn cycle truck was a loose packed headset. No fun.

Latest posts

Back