SPACELINER CONVERTIBLE (A Non-Invasive Sex Reassignment)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'll probably mount it under the tank.

For fun, I took a picture to compare my initial concept to the finished tank.

Here's the original rendering...
Spacelinergenderbender_zpsa18259fe.jpg

And now...
100_6755_zps38651397.jpg

It just needs paint now.

The top bit of the springer is pretty close to the front end...any chance of it hitting over bumps?
I wondered if someone would ask that. The short answer is no.
If you look closely at the spring itself and the rockers you'll notice that it is almost at the top of the travel as it sits. The spring on this particular fork is bent upward. I actually tried to make it hit while riding it and it didn't. I had the same concern early into making the plug before I noticed the bent spring.

Click on this picture and it's easy to see...
100_6750_zpsafdca02a.jpg

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this... maybe no springer :eek:
But I DO like the tank, over and beyond badaxe.

Carl.

I wondered if someone would ask that. The short answer is no.
If you look closely at the spring itself and the rockers you'll notice that it is almost at the top of the travel as it sits. The spring on this particular fork is bent upward. I actually tried to make it hit while riding it and it didn't. I had the same concern early into making the plug before I noticed the bent spring.

Click on this picture and it's easy to see...
100_6750_zpsafdca02a.jpg

Thanks for asking!

Jim...wow!!!....those lights looks awesome.
Great job so far!
Are you going to use the chainguard I sent you?

Here is a pick of the under tank switches that were on some murrays.
switch.jpg

I can't believe I'm saying this... maybe no springer :eek:
But I DO like the tank, over and beyond badaxe.

Carl.
I think it would look good with a regular fork. Wouldn't work with a truss fork though.

Jim...wow!!!....those lights looks awesome.
Great job so far!
Are you going to use the chainguard I sent you?
When I get to actually work on the bike itself, I do plan to mount the chain guard and see how it looks. But so far, all of my time has been spent on the tank.

It looks faster.:cool2:
Oh, it's definitely faster!;) All boy's bikes are faster than girls bikes.:D

Good. I would hate to see to see this much work get narfed up on a ride. I would cry if it were me.
Even if it did hit, it wouldn't hurt it. This thing is very strong. I picked up the bike holding it by the tank and it didn't budge.:happy:

Here is a pick of the under tank switches that were on some murrays.
View attachment 2415
I like that. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow to mount mine.

Had a little time today to work on the switch.

I first marked off the cut-out and holes on a piece of clear Scotch tape and placed it on the tank for a guide. Then, everything was cut out and drilled with a Dremel tool. To square the corners, I used an X-Acto knife. The fiberglass was fairly thick, so it was necessary to grind the back side so that the slider would protrude out of the tank.

After digging around for some slotted screws, it ironically turned out that household light switch cover screws fit perfectly. I'll pick-up some new chrome ones later. The holes were drilled with a countersink bit so that the screws fit properly.

spacelinerswitch_zpsf1a620c1.jpg

Last edited:
This is the last progress report before the build-off takes over the forum! I'm guessing it'll be like a ghost town here in the regular old builds section for the next three months.:whistle: I'll be juggling both.

So anyway, I tackled the wiring today. I have to admit that I'm not the best a soldering, but it works. The batteries are 12V. I didn't know that they even existed until a few months ago when I started this project. I decided that two would be twice as good as one, so I super glued two holders together and rigged up a connector with some strips of copper and tiny machine screws. The battery holder is held in place with double stick foam tape. The LED lights came with connectors made on, so I bought some female ends to be able to easily disconnect the left tank side from the right when needed.

I actually wired the switch wrong and will change it tomorrow. The way it is now, it switches power to either the left or the right light. I'll at least get more practice soldering.:)

100_6781_zps720bc1da.jpg

Last edited:
That is some thick glass! No wonder it's so strong.

Thanks, I'll probably mount it under the tank.

For fun, I took a picture to compare my initial concept to the finished tank.

Here's the original rendering...
Spacelinergenderbender_zpsa18259fe.jpg

And now...
100_6755_zps38651397.jpg

It just needs paint now.
Can you reverse the colors on the tank? Just to see what it would look like? :D

Can you reverse the colors on the tank? Just to see what it would look like? :D
I took the real picture and added color both ways. When I stacked the two I noticed that I didn't get the crop the same around the headlights. Oh well, I didn't want to take the time to go back and fix it but it gives you the idea anyway.

The longer I've been looking at the solid white tank on the bike, the better I like it. The white plays well with the chrome. Now with the blue torpedoes I'm gonna have to let it marinate before I make any decisions.:39:

Colorswap_zpsd4ec02b7.jpg

That's a tough call. I like them both, but I lean towards the spaceliner blue on the tank.
Sweet either way.

Latest posts

Back