Make your own ape hangers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are y'all's suggestions on bending and making your own apes. I searched around and bought a pair but I'm not liking them. I figured the only way I'm gonna get what I want is to make the. Not sure what material to use I'm guessing 7/8 DOM? How can I bend it without an expensive bender. I may just need to cut and weld my angles? Throw me some ideas and pics please. Thanks.

I think it was Luke the joker that done a good write up on getting nice bends out of a cheap hydraulic bender. And it works I used to use the same technique building roll cages in race cars. In the past I have used thick gauge fencing wire to bend in to the shapes I like sort of like a template. Hope that helps cheers grasscutta

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll look around and see. Thanks. I may just weld up set and put a slight bend in the riser. My brother in law just got a blacksmith forge set up so I may try to use it to heat and my my slight bends. I mounted my bought apes and they're not as bad as I was thinking but I want something special for the build. I'll post some pics in a little bit. Thanks again

Great use of resources and it does look good to. I talked to a buddy earlier today and he told me he has some 1" DOM at his shop I can have. I'm gonna play around and see what I can come up with.

this is a pic of my store bought stock huffy
645D7F58-617B-44B6-8B61-240390ABCA65_zpsephzhryw.jpg

After with the ape hangers and new stem
916F726F-E445-4491-964A-4208CE57E725_zpstbeqc9yv.jpg

They're not as bad as I was thinking but my custom build I think I'm gonna build something like this just taller
F66D01AE-31EB-474C-BD98-3397B9020397_zpsghkhghi7.jpg

Latest posts

Back