Bike budget gone. update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after today my bike budget got depleted for a little while. Had a chance to pick up a parts truck so I could get mine back on the road. Its pretty beat and took all my redneck driving skills to get it home but the parts I need are in good shape and will still have the drive train to use.

Beat up? You have obviously never been to Indiana where we don't do vehicle inspections. That one is mint compared to half the junk on our roads.

I've driven way worse than the parts truck in Iowa, too. :) Looks like the two will pair up nicely.

Grrr wish I had access to big floor jacks so I could swa the springs myself. The shop I have the truck at said it would cost to many man hours to swap the springs

Rerrrrrrrrrryt....
Wait, to many man hours?????
It took me about 15 minutes with good air tools to drop springs. That was on the floor with a jack!
Be warned, oil all bolts and nuts before turning them.

I think they just don't want the liability of modifying a suspension.
Or they are Ford guys and don't wanna work on some Chevy! :rofl: Just kidding!
That's a good donor. That's the best way to get a "new" truck on the cheap! :113:

Yep, problem is they all tend to rot out in the exact same spot. If you need patch panels check out LMC Truck and Mill Supply. Both good places for patch panels and free catalogs.

What do those have for engines? I always thought the SS 454 pick up were pretty cool. I watched an episode of trucks and they had that and the Ford Lightning, pretty cool!

Most the K series trucks I seen have the 350 in them. I think the owner dont want to over run my budget and just dont want to come out and say it. Man I miss the days of having friends that had full blow shops in their garages.

Those 350s are great motors. I have one out of an 88 suburban in my 51 Chevy. Got it for $150 because it blew a head gasket. Cost me $130 to have the heads rebuilt and milled. So for under $300 I have a great running motor and it has less than 70k miles.

Yeah and you know you can ALWAYS find parts for a Chevy 350. They only used them in 90% of their lineup from the mid 50's to the 80's and still use a variant of it in a lot of trucks and sports cars now.

Im ready to:headbang: Have to have a sit down with the shop guys and the shop owner to see which way I want to go with this project may end up just sending them both to the scrap yard or auction.

Nice! We're 10th gen brothers now (I drive an 02 FX4). These are awesome trucks. Both the V8 and V6 are indestructable engines! How many miles do you have? I've got a little over 142,000 on my 5.4 V8.

It doesn't surprise me, my Mercury Cougar has 210,000 miles and still runs strong. Ford builds some good ones.

The 4.2 v6 is a great engine; just make sure the head gasket issue was addressed at some point.

I really want an econoline with no windows and a 300ci straight six. I saw a late 80s model with a factory 5 speed manual on the local Craig's. But I think that'd be a cheap divorce, at $800.

Latest posts

Back