Why were girl's bikes blue and boy's bikes red?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the 60's my sister's bikes were always blue, and mine were red. I know that other colors were available, but generally it was red boy's/blue girl's
Who started this? Why? o_O

Back in the 60's I had a black bike and I don't have a sister. Must be a local phenomenon.:cool: Gary

I hadn't noticed a color that is boy particular, but girls I had noticed are usually blue.
My sister rode bmxs....

My brother has twin girls the one everything has to be blue. The other one purple. I couldn't picture either one of them riding a pink bike.

Everything back in the 50's & 60's male related had to be hotrod or gt red. Otherwise you just weren't ...... enough.

Not this set. http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/4427470094.html

01212_bxViSMroF51_600x450.jpg

dont know if this is related to the subject...but i read or heard that back in the 20's blue was a womans colour and pink was a mens colour????:39: then again i may be wrong all together:crazy:

Just a guess and this is just my opinion but as our society was emerging from the drab colors of the Victorian era and into the Madison Avenue "You Need This" type of advertising that started to bombard the public after WWI somehow or another certain colors got "assigned" to masculinity and femininity. If that makes sense.o_O

Latest posts

Back