Picked up a Cannondale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's rare that a non-Walmart bike pops up around here unless it's a high dollar road bike, and those are few and far between. Well, I saw this Cannondale pop up on a local Facebook selling page, I inquired on the price and got back $50, I countered with $40 and picked it up. The guy owned it since new, not sure how old, my only issue is that it has grip shifters, but I think I have some triggers to put on it. I love older rigid mountain bikes! This is the photo from the ad:

1424389_234611873371051_1146760636_n.jpg

Nice find, be sure to look around the rear dropouts for stress cracks, if I remember right these frames were prone to the dropouts cracking and breaking.

Drops are good, luckily the original owner barely rode it, kept it inside, and appeared to weigh no more than 140 pounds, and that's probably high. He was older than me.

The only think broken appears to be a cable guide on the top tube, they seem to "clip" into holes in the frame.

jonathan creason said:
$40 for that bike? Can't beat that deal with a stick. That one should be super responsive with those short chainstays too.

Yeah, when I went to pick up the bike the guy told me "You are getting a GREAT deal on this bike." I told him thanks. haha For over a year I'd been planning to make an old Giant hybrid into a daily rider/urban assault bike, but now that I have this, and it basically needs nothing, I'm scrapping the idea of messing with the Giant and this will get it's rear rack and brand new Evo front basket bar, red saddle, red wheel and seat clamp skewers, and other new parts. Should be an awesome ride!

Still looking for 21 speed trigger shifters as this bike has lousy grip shifters, the rear derailleur is Shimano, the front is Suntour, I don't remember high end bikes having grip shifters in 1989.

Nice score for 40 bones I also have one of these frames in polished aluminum that I have been collecting parts for for about a year now Great riding frames for aluminum and tough as nails and lite

40 bucks is the magic number when someone just wants to get rid of it... Especially for Cannondales! That's what I paid for mine. My auto mechanic had it in his garage covered in dust and hoses in the corner. I asked him the story and he said he took it on a trade a couple years before and just wanted to get rid of it...how much I asked...40 bucks...he didn't even finish talkin' I whipped out my wallet and paid. 1996 T400 touring.

What exact model is that Dale..? I imight be able to tell you the year..What kind of triggs ya looking for. in.3x7

That bike here is on C/L for at least $200. I have the same bike, but in green. I love it. Nice find.

I got an older Giant for parts that has triggers, I've been working on everyone else's bikes and this has been put on the back burner, plus it's been cold.

Latest posts

Back