Board track racer frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the forums so I'll make my first post a question.
As far as I can tell the vast majority of board trackers being made are bicycles with small motors that top out at 30-50mph. I'm looking to build fully road worthy motorcycle and I'm looking to find out how much weight and power a hacked up bicycle frame can really handle. Say if one started with a worksman industrial postboy is it structurally possible to make a board tracker out of this that will safely handle freeway speeds (50-80mph) or will the added power and weight from a larger motor rip the thing apart?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

If you want a nice big motor, and want to be street legal, I would start with a motorcycle. like an older sportster or Suzuki Savage. A motorized bicycle has a 49cc limit in most states for street use. Some states are different. Know your state laws before spending your hard earned money.

Below are a couple examples of BTR style motorcycles with "real" powerplants. Note: no bicycle parts are used, frame material is much thicker, wheels and tires are made for higher speeds, and the brakes are actually capable of stopping the bike at higher speeds...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619303

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=102746

I'm also building a BTR style motorbike with a smaller 212cc motor that should be good for 50+ mph, I'm not trusting my life at that speed to any bicycle parts, .120" walled DOM tubing, heavy gauge steel for plating, DOT motorcycle tires and wheels, 9 gauge spokes, front motorcycle brake, rear moped brake. I was able to get most of these parts cheaper than their bicycle counterparts, if you look on ebay and other such sites anyone can. If you have the ability to shape and weld metal effectively don't waste your time with a bicycle frame, if you don't have the ability than you should not be building an 80mph machine on your own, much less using something that is meant to go 15mph in doing so.

II have seen a Briggs Vanguard V-twin mounted in a vintage motorcycle powering a Comet styled CVT. The Briggs mounts from the bottom to a flat motor plate. The Briggs gives you a vintage appearance with better reliability and lower initial cost.

Yea Dan is awesome, from my experience with the 212cc, it has some get up and go power. I've built some BTRs, good choice with the .120 wall but try .095 wall too, builders use it to build car frames all the time. As far was wheels and tires, the closest that you will get to motorcycle wheels are either worksman or husky wheels, they are pretty stout. Tires, Simplex Servicycle tires all the way, they are pricey but they are worth it. But go out there and build something out of nothing, and if all else fails, go get Dan.

Just my words only

Latest posts

Back