North Carolina bike shop/museum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A new shop has opened in Mount Airy, NC. 144 W. Oak St. It has three parts. On one side is a full service shop. The other end is an art gallery. In the center with high walls around it is a museum, which is not fully filled and operational yet. But I have been inside, and it is pretty impressive so far. It has tons of vintage motorcycles and awesome accessories. The walls will be covered in bicycles, and there is some skateboard content as well, old BMX posters, etc. He has a Schwinn Cycle truck that is nothing special except for the rear basket. It was used in an old grocery store and the rear basket is round and was used to carry produce baskets in. He also has many vintage roadbikes.The owner is Dock. He is a solid and helpful guy. He is also very community involved and we may be working together on reviving the Mount Airy Bicycle Show. I know Mount Airy is a drive for most NC members here, but within a couple of months, I think this will be something worth driving to see. I myself am just excited to finally have a decent LBS that doesn't frown on ratrod bikes or custom stuff. Dock is also into hotrod, ratrod, anything vintage really.

Sounds rad, actually. How far is Mt.Airy from Asheville? My wife and I like to vacation in Asheville every year or 2....

Asheville has an awesome cycling community though. I almost moved to Boone and was excited because it has a similar acceptance as well as diverse groups of creative people to enjoy bikes.

There are already a few rat rod car shows here. The problem with combining the two is that we don't have access to a free location that can hold both at this point.

I met a Wheelman at an art reception last night. I had a couple of my rides in the shop; he saw them and out of the 200 or so people there he came up to me and asked if I knew who they belonged to. We talked for a while, he invited me out to see his collection sometime. He recently moved from Minnesota...unfortunately his 2 Hiawatha Arrows are still back in MN :cry:

Snow country? Snow is pretty rare here. This is the drier side of the mountain. No pics at this point. Right now he mostly has vintage motorcycles in there. Maybe 10-15 bicycles. But there are 2 storage units of bicycles to move. The accessories are astounding at this point. Show quality vintage handlebars for motorcycles and bicycles, custom tanks, sissy bars, and a lot of rarer stuff. He is also a vintage roadbike guy and has some mint stuff in that respect. He has competed in cycling, motocross, etc. He isn't just a guy with a bunch of stuff. He has a real connection to the lifestyle

Latest posts

Back