Help!! Vintage bike found!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found two vintage bikes in a storage lien auction that I purchased along with several other vintage collectibles!! Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated!! I am new to this site and have no idea how to upload pics or the right way to go about any of this so please help:))
IMG_0329_zpscdb68b88.jpg
[/url][/img]

Thank you so much!!!!! Would this be considered a Stingray? Do you have any idea of what the value is in the condition its in and if they are a popular item?

Oh My! I love the yellow one. It started life as a Schwinn Stingray Lemon Peeler. It has been heavily modified in the late 70's. The carpet on the seat and bars, the relocated shifter, generator/lights, custom painted chainguard and sprocket. BMX era parts are the bars, brake set and pedals. Total period correct but not at all original! I would leave it just as it is. Where are you located and what are you looking to get for it? There will certainly be people interested in these bikes.

If you googled Lemon Peeler, you will see the bike used to look like this:

Lemon-Peeler.jpg

The red one...no idea. Has some Schwinn parts but I don't know what the frame is from. Certainly the same period.

look like "Kool-Stop" brake pads. The bent brake lever and yellow cover bring back memories of my old BMX days from about 1980. I remember custom bending the Schwinn levers for a custom BMX use. Have you got alot of offers for the bike yet?

there is a chance that the red bike as well started out as a Schwinn Krate of some kind. has a Krate sprocket. and maybe the wheel was from the same bike...but obviously too far gone to be a Schwinn again...and who cares...its Krazzee. BUT I bet under the red bikes brown fur seat covering is a nice looking Schwinn krate seat?!

Thank you everyone for all of your input!! I am looking to sell both of these bikes. Any thoughts on pricing??

Quite a find, though I'm not sure exactly what it is you've found. The red bike is quite a work of art. Something by our daddy's Rat Rod Bikers.

The yellow bike was definitely a Schwinn Krate, though you'd want to figure out what the original color is to be sure.

The front wheel on the red bike almost certainly came from that Krate. That piece is worth quite a bit by itself. I would swap the front wheels before selling, if that's your plan.

As is, the Krate I'd say is worth about $250-300 and the red one is questionable- $100 to $200, maybe more to the right person, but the kind of guy who wants it isn't going to spend big $ on it.

The "BE" serial number on the Schwinn translates to Feb '69. Looks like the shifter (another valuable piece) has been hacked with that switchblade thing. A replacement handle is in order to restore this one, which should be findable on here or Ebay.

What would I do? I'd figure out which model of Krate it was, by inspecting paint somewhere protected, and then sandblast it and do a full restoration. There's enough original stuff there to make it worthwhile- and when it's finished it'll be worth $750 or so.

There will be some expensive stuff to get- the tires will be $100 or more, a proper seat may cost that much too, and the handlebars are wrong. So if you GAVE it to me, not including any consideration for sandblasting and labor, I'd be into it for $300+ to put it on the road. And that assumes that most of the correct hardware is there, and salvageable, as well as chrome being good.

Definitely a cool find.

--Rob

That yellow one is awesome! has a cool "Mountain man" vibe to it. :lol: and the other one would make an awesome canvas for some candy paint, pinstripe work, and a 1970's themed chopper. Just curious how close are you to Indiana?

Thanks again to everyone who has posted information. A friend told me about this site when I found these bikes in a storage unit. I am going to sell both of them. Anyone interested?? I'm in California Modesto, CA

what kinda price are you thinking
i know a guy near me that would be interested in the lemon peeler as it sits
let me know if you can ship it to zip code 68025
i will tell him you are selling it
Sean

Latest posts

Back